6 Reasons Why OU Trumps Miami

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Tuition

For non-Ohio residents for the Fall/Spring academic year (based on a standard double room and average meal plan), it is significantly cheaper to attend Ohio University. Our general cost of attendance for residents is lower as well, but different factors such as transportation, books and supplies, and specific college fees can bounce back and forth between the two.

OU: $36,528

Miami: $42,577

Clothing

Sweatpants over slacks. OU’s typical attire consists of a sea of green ranging from hoodies to T-shirts to the ever-loved and comfortable sweatpants. Miami has a reputation for wearing Sperry’s, Chubbies, and polos to class every day. To be honest, I couldn’t imagine a college experience where I was judged for rolling out of bed and throwing on my most comfortable outfit to walk across campus for a morning exam. No way, Jose.

Photo: uptowndogtshirts.com

Involvement  

Both schools have an abundance of involvement, but OU has slightly more clubs and activities you can join. Miami has roughly 450 student organizations, a new student center, and 34 intramural sports. OU has close to 500 student organizations, year-round intramural and recreation sports, and the beautiful Baker Center where plenty of individuals can showcase their talents throughout the day with programs like Singer Songwriter hour, Coffee and Comedy, and Open Stage.

Financial Aid

For freshmen joining the Bobcat family, there is 6 percent more financial aid support than Miami, allowing more students to rely on aid to bring them to Athens. We provide a new program called the OHIO Signature Awards, which raised the amounts that students receive for their first year and can continue to receive if requirements are met.

Photo: i.ytimg.com

Majors

Miami University provides 137 majors while Ohio University is coming in with 167 diverse, versatile and amazing majors. OU evens provides the Bachelors of Specialized Studies (BSS) for students to create their own customized program. Miami’s most popular majors are business related (Accounting and Marketing) and OU’s top three are Nursing, Health Administration and Communication Studies. There is something for everyone at OU!

Attitudes

When talking to my Miami University ‘friend,’ he stated that the students can seem “somewhat judgmental.” At Ohio University, we are anything but. There is always a niche to fit into, a club to join, and people to hang out with that accept you for you. We have a Bobcat Family and take pride in the fact that we all love our school and the peers surrounding us.

There are so many more reasons why OU trumps MU, and we all know that. We love our greenery, Athens bricks, rolling hills and comfortable college town. We could’ve gone to any other school, but Ohio University is our real hOUme and always will be.

Cover photo: newvoices.org

Ohio University 2017 Alumna Communication Studies major | Business minor | Social Media certificate Qnary | Client Success Manager Some Good Wine | Event and Marketing Director Delta Zeta Alumna | Public Relations Advisor Her Campus | Chapter Advisor and past Campus Correspondent PRSSA | Mentor Living my best life in NYC.
Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)