Wellness > Sex + Relationships

6 Healthy Ways To Get Over Your Ex And Be A Happy Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Frequently, when in a relationship we lose sight of who we are as an individual. While breakups may leave a bad taste in your mouth, they are the perfect opportunity for you to rediscover your identity. Being single means you get to focus all your energy on what makes you happy and healthy; so, I am going to supply you with six healthy ways to say goodbye to your ex and hello to a new and improved version of yourself.

1. Drink away your sorrows with green tea instead of alcohol

Green tea is a great way to start your day; not only is it delicious, soothing, and stress-relieving but it also has remarkable health benefits. Green tea can improve brain functions, increase weight loss, lower your risk of cancer and diabetes, and improve dental health. By starting the day with green tea you are giving yourself a kick start to a healthier you. 10 Proven Benefits of Green Tea

1. Spend time with your friends

When in a relationship, it is easy to fall head over heels for your significant other and make you want to spend all your time with them. It is essential to never leave your friends on the back burner. Boyfriends and girlfriends come and go, but your friends are your support system and will never leave your side. Friends will be there pre-relationship, during the entire thing, and post-breakup, so never lose sight of them and their importance in your life. When single it is a great idea to spend quality time with your BFF’s and thank them for everything they do. They will help you get through the pain, and you will probably have more fun spending time with them anyway.

1. Go explore

Instead of staying in your room moping around and throwing yourself a pity party, go outside and explore. Whether that is traveling the world or just seeing a new nature trail in your hometown, get up and go. Sometimes fresh air solves problems and can help mend your broken heart. Other times, exploring new places can give you insight to who you are as an individual and what makes you happy. As John Muir once said, “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest of wilderness”.

1. Take up that hobby you never had time for

There are plenty of perks to not being in a relationship. One of those things is free time. Instead of spending your extra time thinking about your ex and re-living all the memories in your head, take up the hobby you always wanted to start but never had time to do. If there isn’t a specific hobby that comes to mind and you’d like to investigate one, here is a list of 300+ hobbies you can start to fill your free time: List of hobbies.

1. Pamper yourself

Now that you aren’t in a relationship, you get to spend all your money on yourself. Use this extra cash to pamper yourself. Go to a spa and get a facial and massage; you deserve it. If you rather take the cheaper route (like me) light a candle and take a warm bubble bath. Another great option is to go to Walmart and buy some face-masks and new nail polish. De-stress and show your body some self-love. Here is a link to Walmart’s face masks to get started! Face Masks

1. Gym time

Now this may be your least favorite, but working out has some serious benefits. As I am sure you were told in science class, working out releases endorphins which give your body that “positive feeling”. So not only does working out make you physically healthier, it makes you mentally happier. There are several ways to work out, find one that you love and don’t be scared to try something new. If you are scared to get started on your fitness journey alone, most gyms offer group fitness classes; these usually include things like kick-boxing, cycling, Zumba, yoga, etc. Grab your friends and family and hit the gym!

While I can supply you with strategies, you are the only person that can genuinely decide to get over your ex and become a happier and healthier you. Find the right mindset, focus on yourself, and become the strong independent woman you are destined to be. That way you can take your allotted single time, find yourself, and when the time comes, open your heart up to a man or woman that is right for you!

Darian Berdysz is an Ohio University graduate. While at school, she studied Communications, Marketing, and Social Media at the Scripps College of Communications. She was also involved with Thread Magazine, Ohio Multimedia Society was a Communication Executive for University Program Council and the Vice President of Students Professionals of Communication Studies. Darian enjoys dancing and singing at every chance she gets, traveling, and spending time with her friends.