This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

There have been plenty of women in my life that always had my back and lifted me up when I’m down. But, there have been several women in pop culture whose work and life have kept me motivated and led me to believe that anything in life is possible. Here are the five women in the entertainment industry that inspire me most: 

Beyonce

Would anyone’s list be complete without Queen Bey herself? At this point, everyone knows how Beyonce’s work as a musical artist, actress, activist, and entrepreneur has impacted the world. From her early days in Destiny’s Child to “Lemonade,” B has always provided us with the hits that empower women from all walks of life, but it’s her hard work that I admire most. She is involved with every bit of her performances and works tirelessly to get them to perfection. Queen B only wants the best for her beehive and strives to put her heart and soul into each performance, album, and even her clothing line! Beyonce has taught me to keep up your dreams and keep putting in the hard work because people do stop and take notice. 

Taylor Swift

Another queen of the music world! Taylor Swift has also provided us hit after hit for years now, but she’s so much more than her sparkly dresses and love songs. Swift is a lyrical genius, and it’s because she is so vulnerable in her songs. Whether her heart is breaking in “All Too Well” or she’s celebrating finding love in “Lover,” listeners feel whatever emotion she is conveying and connect with her. For a lot of my life, I was looked down on for being sensitive or made others uncomfortable with my vulnerability. Taylor taught me that both of these traits were powerful and were not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength in myself. Nowadays, TSwizzle is also making headlines for speaking up and using her voice to speak on issues she cares about. Her journey into self-discovery and finding her voice was well-timed with my own, so her songs will surely be the soundtrack to that period in my life. Swift gave me a masterclass in the many emotions of life, vulnerability, and true self-discovery.

Angelina Jolie

There are many reasons why many may question my next addition, but hear me out! From the get-go, Angelina has come off as a strong, passionate, individualistic woman. She never cared for Hollywood’s rules and wanted to be a free-spirit, which I think scared a lot of people. Could she have expressed these characteristics in ways other than kissing her brother? Yes, but I can totally take that devil may care energy in other areas of my life. I’ve always been a rule follower, but Angie taught me that sometimes rules have to be broken to get what you want. She also taught me that not everyone will like you, but being true to yourself is the path to true happiness.

Lady Gaga

Another woman who isn’t afraid to be whatever she wants is Mother Monster herself, Lady Gaga. I admit, back in the day, I did not get Gaga. Why the meat dress? Why all the cooky outfits? After a deep dive into her interviews and multiple viewings of “A Star is Born,” I’ve come to admire this passionate woman. From a young age, Gaga had a dream to become a worldwide superstar. She worked hard to hone her craft but was met with naysayers along the way. She never gave up, though, and held on to her confidence and belief in herself. Because of this, Gaga teaches this to her fans and others who listen to her music. As someone who has struggled with both of those things, I love what Gaga is about! She shows me that everyone has the strength to overcome bullies and that you can be your greatest friend instead of your enemy.

Barbra Streisand

Last, but most certainly not least, is Ms. Barbra Streisand. A queen above all queens, Streisand’s work and personal story is the one I relate to and admire the most. Streisand struggled to break into acting because of her looks, but eventually did thanks to her incredible performance in “Funny Girl.” From there, she went on to do just about everything! She made a plethora of albums, directed and wrote several films, and is currently the only woman to win a Golden Globe for directing. To put it simply, Streisand has broken a lot of glass ceilings, showing that pretty much anything is possible for a woman. Along with that, she also taught me that a woman’s life can be so much more than what society expects. A woman can have a fulfilling career, family, and spiritual life. Life is also not determined by your looks but by your heart and character.

Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!