Style > Decor

5 Ways To Spice Up Your Dorm For Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Fall is arguably the best season. The warm colors, cozy vibes, and fashionable outfits always put me in a better mood. As soon as the weather shifts, clothing, nail polish colors, and activities with friends get revamped to match the fall style. And dorm rooms are no exception. 

Here are a few ways to make your small living space feel cozy during the lovely fall season!

String Lights

I am always a fan of twinkling lights no matter the season, but changing up the colors of your lights can be a great way to embrace fall. Try orange, purple, or black string lights to change the tone of your room during the fall months!

Decorate Your Door

Even if the inside of your dorm isn’t incredibly decorated, a great way to showcase your fall spirit is to decorate your door. Try small stickers for a simple look, or go all out with cobwebs and caution tape for a more spooky vibe. 

Decorative Mason Jars

Jars can be used for so many things and deserve their own category when it comes to room decor. For fall, however, jars are great for a few simple crafts that will make your room much more inviting. 

One idea is to glue fake leaves onto the inside of the jars and place small tea-lights inside of them so they illuminate the beautiful fall colors. Find inspiration here.

Another idea is to choose pre-painted mason jars and artfully arrange some fake flowers in them–particularly in red, orange, or yellow colors. Get an idea here.

Jars of small candy corn or candy pumpkins are also a great idea–they’re perfect to add to the Halloween spirit, and of course, as a fun treat! Find 29 fall mason jar ideas here.

Garlands

Purchasing a garland of fake leaves is a small decoration that can make your whole dorm automatically feel like fall. String your new fall-themed lights around the garland for extra flare!

Pumpkins

Pumpkins are a staple to the fall season. And whether you prefer to use real or fake ones, they’re a perfect decoration to add a pop of color to your room. If you choose, you could also paint them, or wrap some patterned fabric around them as a cute addition!

Lauren Serge

Ohio U '23

Lauren Serge is currently a senior at Ohio University, majoring in Journalism and specializing in Marketing and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is the current President and Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus OU chapter. She enjoys writing, walking, spending time with her family, friends, and her dog, as well as catching up on her many favorite tv shows.