5 Quick Energy and Brain Boosting Snacks for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As we get closer to the end of the semester, it is only natural that now is the time everybody begins to stress out a little more. Last minute papers and group projects on top of actual finals can be overwhelming. The last thing you’re probably thinking about is how many food groups you’re consuming daily. But all this constant going with such little TLC can have a negative impact on your body (even if it’s only for a few days). One of these negative impacts is a lack of energy.   

If you’ve suddenly been feeling a little bit more sluggish and uninspired recently, it may be because your diet has changed and lacks important nutrients for its functioning. Thus, this list has come to save your life. Below are 5 quick snacks you should have on hand during finals week so that you can stay alert and stimulate your brain, ensuring you come out successful. 

1. Blueberries-  

This should be a staple in your dorm during finals week. The antioxidants they contain help to boost your brains responses and alertness, which, in return, improves your ability and capacity to retain information. As a bonus, it’s been proven to also combat aging as well as cancer. So, not only will it help you with short term things such as finals, but also long term. 

2. Yogurt-

While this may not be the first thing you think of when you’re trying to stay awake, science has proven that it should not be taken for granted. Because of its vitamin B concentration, it helps to boost your concentration as well as send signals throughout your body more quickly. The protein it contains has also been proven to help you stay full, which is perfect when you’re trying to concentrate on studying rather than think about the new Chipotle special. 

3. Beans-

Okay, so maybe you went to Chipotle. Don’t worry; everything will be okay once you get beans. Beans have been proven to have an abundant amount of vitamin B, protein, and magnesium which all aid in the functioning of your brain. They help to provide your body with more energy, which goes hand in hand with staying awake and being alert. So, don’t be afraid to ask for extra beans if desired. 

4. Avocados-

Avocados are loaded with unsaturated fats, which improve the flow of blood to your brain. This means that your brains signals can travel much more effectively than before. So, when you’re studying, it may enable you to remember your information quicker.

5. Chocolate-

While this may sound crazy, chocolate is one of the best things you can eat for the extra energy and brain boosting you desire. However, it is important to note that this is dark chocolate. Like blueberries, dark chocolate is filled with antioxidants which help to improve your brains alertness. But make sure you don’t go overboard with it.