4 Short Books To Read On Cozy Fall Nights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

For some people, fall means hiking along trails covered in orange leaves, apple-picking on chilly afternoons and making s’mores on a bonfire with friends. For the home bodies, this time is for sipping on pumpkin spice lattes, curling up in fuzzy blankets and getting some reading done. But thanks to all the textbooks we’ve been assigned, making time for other books is difficult. So here are a few books that are short but full of rich story-telling, perfect for nights when you just want to stay home and catch a break. For extra enjoyment pair them with the drinks we’ve recommended, now you’re staying in and still enjoying the arrival of fall!

“Animal Farm” by George Orwell.

Looking for a book you can finish in an hour? This one is perfect for you. The story, about animals in a farm trying to take control once the humans are gone, is a fascinating study on the nature of power. Orwell who is known for writing books that offer a bleak yet truthful picture (remember 1984 from high school?) pulls you into the story from the first page. If you want a book that makes you think for days, this is it.

Recommended drink: Warm apple cider.

“Things Fall Apart” by Chinua Achebe.

In this book, culture and colonialism are at odds in Nigeria and one family is caught in the mayhem. Achebe’s story follows Okonkwo, a man who doesn’t quite fit in and so he is punished for it. With stunning depictions of local traditions, emotional storytelling about family ties and the mingling of politics and religion— there is something in this book for every kind of reader.

Recommended drink: Green tea with lemon and honey.

“The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

It’s an American classic for a reason! The heartbreaking story of Jay Gatsby’s mysterious wealth and fame and his doomed love for Daisy is bound to make you a little emotional. Fitzgerald’s writing is the definition of “cozy,” the way one sentence flows into another like poetry. The storytelling is so engrossing you’ll find it hard to put the book aside.

Recommended drink: Hot chocolate with marshmallows.

“Milk and Honey” by Rupi Kaur.

What’s better than wearing a fuzzy sweater and sitting by the fire? Wearing a fuzzy sweater, sitting by the fire and reading poetry! Kaur’s short poems talk about everything from women’s bodies to immigration, child abuse to breakups all with a touch of gentleness. This critically-acclaimed quick read is just what you need before you go to bed.

Recommended drink: Pumpkin Spice Latte.  

Purva was born and brought up in Mumbai, India and is now a graduate journalism student at Ohio University. She is interested in women's magazines and issues of diversity in the media.