Style

3 Businesses Supporting Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
  1. Bath and Body Works

Bath and Body Works has created an entire line in honor of Black History month for the first time. The collection features four of the brand’s most popular fragrances, packaged, according to the website, in “traditional African art” with information on the back of the candles describing what each design represents. In addition to the new collection, the Bath and Body Works foundation is also donating half a million dollars to both the National and Columbus Urban League “to support civil rights and racial justice in America”, as stated on the website. The products and more can be viewed on the Bath and Body Works Black History Month page.

1. Old Navy

Old Navy has released a line of graphic t-shirts with art created by black artists. The line was created through a partnership with Project WE, an organization created by women, for women, that gives those in need a sense of community and accountability. The line of Black History Month graphic tees is the newest release in Old Navy’s “The Imagine Mission” that encourages customers to “imagine a more inclusive future through art”, featured here: The Imagine Mission. On this page, the three artists are photographed in their designs. Along with the collection, Old Navy donated $50,000 to the Fifteen Percent Pledge to “support their work to advance racial and economic equity for the Black community”, as stated on their website. 

1. Target 

Target has a store-wide initiative called “Black Beyond Measure”, which features products and brands that are black-owned and/or black-founded. On the Black Beyond Measure page on the website, there are three featured tabs: Buy Black, Join Us, and Learn. On each of these tabs, there are different products, informative graphics, and examples of what target has done to support not only Black History Month, but HBCU students, the National Urban League, and more. Specific to Black History Month, there are 6 featured collections, with 6 featured co-creators, along with winners of the 2021 HBCU design challenge.

Lindsey Osterfeld is currently a junior studying journalism, strategic communication, at Ohio University and adding a social media certificate. She is also the Twitter Manager for Ohio U's chapter of Her Campus. When she is not writing or studying, she can be found watching TV shows like Friends and One Tree Hill, and spending time with her friends and family.