25 songs for people that failed to “Fall in Love in October”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s nearing the end of October and whether you’ve given it your best shot or not, you failed to fall in love in October. Don’t fret, you still have time to slip on a leaf and have an attractive stranger catch you. However, if you are not as lucky as the main characters in any Hallmark movie, this one’s for you. I present 25 songs that will aid in progressing any daydreams of your class crush asking you out. Or they can help you nail down that main character walk that boosts your confidence and makes you feel as if everyone is falling in love with you and your unironic wired headphones. This playlist is also good for when you want to wallow in your sadness and daydream about an idealized life. (This is a habit that needs to be addressed in a different post!)

What i need (feat. kehlani) – Hayley kiyoko

An upbeat pop hit from Lesbian Jesus herself and the gay icon we all love to thirst over. Hayley Kiyoko and Kehlani hit the nail on the head with this one! This lively song spells out the classic (and frustrating) relationship with someone who is closeted. If you are in the mood for an angsty and realistic smash hit, this is the song for you.

Holy – king princess

The ultimate “f*ck you – i’m hot” song to regain your confidence and put a battery in your back.

Wish you were gay – claud

It’s a queer right of passage; falling in love with someone who is not queer is a pain like no other. This is not a feel good, lift your spirits song. It’s strictly for the people who are sad and want to stay sad for the time being. (AKA me!)

Glad he’s gone – tove lo

This is what everyone thinks about their friends, sisters, and crush’s boyfriend but don’t want to say out loud. Good thing Tove Lo isn’t afraid to say it for us.

bad as the boys (feat. alma) – Tove lo

Another hit from Tove Lo; she sheds light on the things we don’t have the guts to say. Including calling out how painful and toxic queer relationships can be – not unlike straight relationships.

Somebody i f*cked once – zolita

The ultimate dilemma; figuring out whether you have a romantic crush or if you are just sexually attracted to someone. Plus it’s very catchy!

Venus fly trap – marina

There is not too much to be said about MARINA and her constant confidence booster bops. Listen to this and fall in love with yourself this October.

The bottom – gracie abrams

Maybe you failed Girl in Red’s mission because you are the toxic one in the relationship. I don’t condone that, but at least you can recognize and own it. Listen, relate, enjoy, go to therapy, repeat.

She calls me daddy – king mala

Do you really need a reason to listen to this song?

falling for ya – grace phipps

From a high ranking D-COM, this groovy love song will have you tripping over air and falling in love in no time!

close to you – dayglow

Don’t have the guts to say anything to your crush? Do you overanalyze every brief interaction you’ve had? Don’t worry, Sloan Struble wrote this song specifically for you.

dover beach – baby queen

Added this song to my playlist because of Heartstopper. Kept it on repeat for it’s light, sweet, and relatable notes and lyrics. Great song for obsessing over that bass player who you saw once.

Let’s fall in love for the night – finneas

A song made to make you feel as if you are in an early 2000s coming-of-age movie.

Talia – king princess

Have a (completely legal) wine night with the girls to talk about your on-again-off-again relationship and this song should definitely be in the rotation.

Shit show – peter mcpoland

The name speaks for itself.

Was it something i said? (feat. cavetown) – Mykey

It’s cuffing season but breakups do still happen. It’s worse when you don’t know what you did wrong. This song won’t give you any clarity on the situation but the soft guitar riff and MyKey’s sweet voice make great company.

Pleaser – wallows

This one goes out to my people pleasers.

still into you – paramore

Cue the daydreams of pumpkin painting, jumping into leaf piles, and sipping on apple cider with a blurry face who could be the love of my life. This song will never get old; you’ll get butterflies with every listen. (No pun intended)

staring – tipling rock

Try not to have a sh*t-eating grin on your face as you listen to this song challenge. Level: Impossible.

Lover of mine – 5sos

A significant other who loves every aspect of you including the good, the bad, and the ugly? Yes please. A significant other who looks like any member of 5 Seconds of Summer? YES PLEASE.

sweater weather – the neighbourhood

This bisexual, fall anthem of course made the list. No relationship is required to listen to this metaphor for “physical closeness”.

somebody else – 1975

You know when you don’t want someone but you don’t want anyone else to have them? Yeah, I found the perfect song for you.

girls – beatrice eli

For the people who have no particular crush but can’t help but to daydream about the prospect of having one.

suzanne – bermuda triangle

For those people who are in love with someone who is in love with someone else.

say you won’t let go – james arthur

The perfect song to daydream about growing old with the person you’re hopelessly pining after.

Sharnee (Shar – Nay) is a junior at OHIO studying Psychology and Forensic Studies. They are also a resident advisor on campus, so you may see her mingling with her residents on campus. In her free time, you can find her at any coffee shop rewatching her new Netflix obsession of the month. Follow their angsty but relatable Tumblr (scarterofficial).