25 Songs Essential for Every Valentine’s Day Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

“It’s the mooooost wonderful tiiiiiime of the yeaaaaar!”

Well, at least, it was… That is, until the tsunami of pink and red hearts engulfed the tinsel and ornaments, leaving behind nothing but the faint echo of the glorious Christmas carols we were singing just two months ago.

Maybe I’m being a bit dramatic here, but seriously—What’s a girl to listen to during the month-long Valentine’s Day frenzy? What are we supposed to blast to tune out the ever-present sounds of our friends talking about their romantic dates? (Just kidding. You go, girl.) Why can’t there be a convenient arsenal of Valentine’s Day songs readily available for us to sing during the month of February?

Never to fear.

I’ve conducted some extensive research and uncovered 25 essential songs for every Valentine’s Day playlist. Some might be fairly obvious (Taylor Swift, anyone?), but others are a delightful blast from the past. At the very least, it will give you an excuse to skip “Hello” when it comes up on shuffle for the 5,000th time.

The only thing that could make this list better is if it came complete with a virtual box of chocolates. Oh, and a boyfriend.

1. “Thinking Out Loud” – Ed Sheeran 

2. “If I Should Fall Behind” – Bruce Springsteen

3. “All You Need Is Love” – The Beatles

4. “You and I” – Ingrid Michaelson

5. “Beautiful Girl” – Sara Bareilles

6. “Unchained Melody” – Righteous Brothers

7. “Love Is An Open Door” – Frozen

8. “Love Me Tender” – Elvis

9. “When You Say Nothing At All” – Alison Kraus

10. “The Love Boat Theme Song” – Jack Jones

11. “If We Were a Movie” – Hannah Montana

12. “Always and Forever” – Luther Vandross

13. “Love Story” – Taylor Swift

14. “I Cross My Heart” – George Strait

15. “Hopelessly Devoted To You” – Grease

16. “Kiss Me Slowly” – Parachute

17. “No Air” – Jordin Sparks

18. “Give Me Love” – Ed Sheeran

19. “In Your Eyes” – Peter Gabriel

20. “Always” – Panic! At The Disco

21. “Die A Happy Man” – Thomas Rhett

22. “Aquaman” – WALK THE MOON

23. “Love On Top” – Beyoncé

24. “All I Ask” – Adele  

25. “Everglow” – Coldplay

If this list gave you any new songs to add to your playlists, I accept thank yous in the form of chocolate and gigantic teddy bears.

Happy V-Day, collegiettes!  

Main photo courtesy: Random Life Music

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano