11 Freshman Year Regrets from OU Upperclassmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

We look back on freshman year, toward the end (or actual end) of our college lives more and more. Every first-year student looks forward to the amazing things to come in the later years of college, and afterwards. — Perhaps the job you may land, or the upper-level classes that actually teach what you chose to major in. — However, there are many reasons why freshman shouldn’t take their first year time for granted. – It ideally is the best time to learn as much as you can, make new friends and flourish in Athens, after all!

Many senior-level Bobcats (and graduates) feel as though they regret a thing or two about freshman year, and hope that you avoid making the following mistakes… Here are eleven regrets!

1. “One of my regrets was getting the 20-flex meal plan. Too many meals, and too much money wasted! I ended up feeling guilty not spending my meals and would just buy junk food at the markets. Not healthy!” 

2. “I wish…. I didn’t quit the clubs so early on. I remember being super excited to join all these clubs and then went to one or two meetings and then kind of stopped showing up. I feel like I could have learned so much more.” 

3. “I regret procrastinating so much. It’s not that my grades suffered or anything, but I personally suffered. I rarely got sleep and was always exhausted. I stressed myself out.”

4.  “I wish I hadn’t waited so long to really come out of my shell!  Half of my freshman year was spent in my dorm room!  I found my people eventually, but the memories could have started so much sooner!” 

5.  “Going out too many nights, during the week, and dropping classes.” 

6. “Thinking that I didn’t have to study. And then failing my classes because of it…haha.” 

7. “I regret going to the block party dressed as an under aged drunk mess. It was a really popular costume that year.”

8. “Not joining a LC (Learning Community) group.”

9. “This one was out of my control, but I always regret that our class didn’t do the traditional walk from convocation up Richland and through college gate. I feel like we missed out on a traditional rite of passage!”

10. “I wish I hadn’t gotten into such a serious relationship right off the bat.”

11. “I went to the gym every day, because I was eating in the dining halls… I really could have been less self-conscious about my weight! I think that freshman year you should actually be gaining more self-confidence.”

Which mistakes do you regret from freshman year?  Tweet us @hercampusohiou and share some of your freshman-year regrets with us!

All GIFs from giphy.com

Sophia Borghese is a Strategic Communications major at Ohio University. She is always excited to write stuff for Her Campus.  Sophia has writen for her university's fashion magazine, Thread, for over three years, and loves to write beauty related articles the most. Many of the makeup looks in the magazine are done by her as well. Most people associate her with bright lipstick, and her Instagram account Sophia Makeup Artistry. She loves to stalk great makeup artists, read up on the latest beauty trends and shop at Sephora whenever she can.  Alongside her interests in beauty, she is obsessed with sushi, pugs, Madonna and her favorite band Incubus.  Professionally speaking, she wants to continue to be a makeup artist, and work as a freelance beauty writer while partaking in the beauty PR world. 
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano