This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oglethorpe chapter.

Getting up in the morning is hard. You may be feeling burnt out, having to do the same song and dance to roll out of bed every day. We’ve all been there, and there’s nothing wrong with feeling your feelings. But I’m going to give some tips that I personally use to help me in the mornings, and hopefully you’ll find something here that can help you.

1. Lay out your clothes the night before.
    I’m practically a cartoon character— I usually wear the same kind of outfit: leggings, boots, t-shirt, cardigan. I don’t have that many clothes to begin with, so everything is on a rotation. The versatility of this means that I can get up in the morning and not have too much anxiety over what I want to wear – but it’s still so much easier knowing that Past Me has already made the decision for Future Me. If I know I want to shower in the morning, I’ll lay out some towels, too. This may not lead to a lot of time saved (if any), but it’s one less thing for me to worry about.
  2. Make your bed.
    I know doing a chore is the last thing you want to do in the morning, but I promise the reward is worth it. There’s nothing like coming home to a clean room and a made bed after a long day. And you can feel a sense of accomplishment by just doing this one task in the morning, if nothing else. For me, it helps me feel like I have a little bit of my life together.
  3. Give yourself something to look forward to.
    This can be something as simple as treating yourself to Starbucks before you head on your way, or knowing that you have a cookie waiting for you at home. It doesn’t have to be a grand dinner or plans for the weekend (but those also help tremendously). Just something to help you get through the day.

I know these might seem trivial to think about, but I encourage you to try implementing any of these changes if you aren’t already, and seeing what difference it can make. We can’t always have a good day, but we can certainly try and give ourselves a fighting change.

Sarah Taphom

Oglethorpe '22

Communications Major | Women's and Gender Studies Minor HC @ Oglethorpe Marketing and Recruitment Director | Twitter Admin