‘Silenced’: Meghan Markle Shares Her Side of the Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oglethorpe chapter.

In the CBS interview “Oprah with Meghan and Harry,” the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle shared her side of the story about various controversies and rumors that have been spread about her since her marriage to Prince Harry. 

The interview on March 7 began with a discussion about the dynamic between the Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton and Meghan, and the claim that Meghan “made Kate cry.” Meghan denied that claim and said the opposite actually happened, with Kate making her cry and then apologizing later. But media outlets took the lie and ran with it, leaving Meghan wondering why no one around her would step up and tell the truth. This seems to mark the beginning of a pattern from the institution the media spreading lies about Meghan and no one around her refuting those claims.

The lies were only fueled further when the institution directed Meghan to say “no comment” when asked questions by the media. At the time Meghan believed they were trying to protect her, but looking back she realized it wasn’t truly for her benefit. When asked by Oprah about whether she was “silent” or “silenced”, Meghan responded, “the latter.”

Prince Harry joined the interview halfway through, and explained that the pair ultimately left the UK and stepped down from their full-time roles because they continuously asked for help and did not receive it. Harry said there was a “lack of support” from the institution, and that the UK press was relentless in their attacks against them.

The latest allegations against Meghan come from The Times, a UK newspaper, in a story released on March 2. It revealed a former royal staff member’s 2018 complaint report against Meghan, with the report claiming that she “bullied” two royal aides into quitting their jobs. This news came just days before Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey aired on CBS.

Meghan and her team have denied the claims. Her spokesperson told CNN that this was a “smear campaign,” and that they were saddened to see such a “defamatory portrayal” of Meghan from the media.

You can watch the couple’s interview here: https://www.cbs.com/shows/oprah-with-meghan-and-harry-a-cbs-primetime-special/

Katie Hunter

Oglethorpe '22

Katie is a junior majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Urban Leadership. She is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Oglethorpe. She likes to stay busy at Oglethorpe as a member of the women's tennis team, a member of Alpha Sigma Tau sorority, and as a research assistant studying public relations and non-profits. In her free time, you’ll probably find her drinking iced coffee and watching reality TV.