This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oglethorpe chapter.

Can you plan falling in love? 

Often, people grapple with this question and settle for the answer: yes. 

However, music proves otherwise. Music is defined as “vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.” Music is ambiguous and arbitrary, yet extremely personal. We sink into the silky seams of music––willingly or not. Music cannot be planned or bound by rules and regulations. Music owns millions of acres of real estate in my life. Here are a few songs that played on repeat during March!

1. Drake

If there were a King of Canada, his name would be Drake. He redefined rap by combining genre-bending songs with vulnerable lyrics. Drake’s Hotline Bling, Best I Ever Had, and God’s Plan are three shining examples of his transcendent tunes. Personally, March was a month of nostalgia. In 2010, Drake released his debut album Thank Me Later. I consider this one of Drake’s best projects, mainly because of my memories associated with this album. There was a freshness to Drake that made this album special and untouchable. Specifically, the songs Over and Successful sonically embody hunger for success. An honorable mention is Trophies, which was released in 2013. These three songs have been in constant rotation, because they personify grit and the desire for excellence.

2. Sinéad Harnett

Across the pond, Sinéad Harnett is becoming a prominent face of R&B. Recently, she released a romantic song named Last Love. This emotionally-driven song vocalizes the sentiment of being mentally tied to your previous partner. She’s reminded of her last relationship at every twist and turn! It’s undeniably relatable. Her soulful voice perfectly cements the notion that even when you’re finished with love, love is never truly finished with you.

3.  Héctor Lavoe’s

Music serves as a teleporter. It allows us to travel time and space. Héctor Lavoe’s Rompe Saragüey teleports us to 1970’s Puerto Rico. For six minutes and thirty-one seconds you can feel sweat soaked skin, hear the tranquil waves, and taste the fresh fruit. Lavoe’s Rompe Saragüey showcases that music is universal. Regardless of language, comprehension, or culture––good music is good music. The mixture of chords, heart-tugging trumpets, and soulful vocals creates a beautiful consonance. I enjoy playing this while I exercise or clean my dorm. If you want to take a cheap vacation, jam to Héctor Lavoe’s Rompe Saragüey.

4. Rush

Are you feeling angsty? Are the college throes becoming overwhelming? Rush’s Tom Sawyer epitomizes a hero’s journey and recognizes the hero within us. This 1980’s rock song is extremely energetic. The song is symbolic as it jumps between wild and settled––reflecting the juxtaposition of life. Navigating the unpredictable waters of life can feel hopeless. Especially, when your dreams are nowhere in sight. However, Rush’s Tom Sawyer reminds us to continue to fight the good fight.

5. John Mayer, Oscar Jerome, and Jordan Rakei

Calm and comforting music helps me combat stressful situations. John Mayer’s In Your Atmosphere – Live at the Nokia Theatre, Oscar Jerome’s Gravitate, and Jordan Rakei’s Tawo brings me back to Earth. I imagine myself inside a glass-made hamster wheel that these songs shatter. They disrupt my need for perfection and evoke a sense of ease. John Mayer’s In Your Atmosphere – Live at the Nokia Theatre is an acoustic song that expresses what it means to abide. I find it spiritual and mesmerizing. Oscar Jerome’s Gravitate is an uptempo jazz song. Jerome wrote the song to reflect the invaluable potential we each have. Listening to Gravitate is like swaying in a hammock on a sunny day. Lastly, Jordan Rakei’s Tawo is a grounded and hopeful alternative R&B song. It’s message is to trust the process, and eventually you will notice results. These zen and heartfelt songs boost self-efficacy and confidence

These are the songs you never knew you needed. My favorite music of March had no singular sound. However, they each illustrate the power of music. Music is fluid energy. It contorts, flexes, and moves its muscles in unimaginable ways. Music uncovers untapped potential and resonates with souls around the world! 

Cimaya McCreary

Oglethorpe '24

Cimaya McCreary is a full-time psychology student by day and part-time music playlist creator by night! Occasionally, she gets her life in order -- it's a journey.
Kaitlin is a Junior Communications major and Psychology minor at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, Georgia. On campus, she's a member of the Alpha Sigma Tau sorority, Oglethorpe's Career Development team, and the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she isn't working or studying, Kaitlin enjoys writing, hiking, painting, and exploring the city with her friends.