Intersectional Women We’re Celebrating During Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oglethorpe chapter.

March marks Women’s History Month, and as we acknowledge the accomplishments of women around the globe it is imperative to mention those at the intersection. Intersectionality refers to the discrimination that someone faces due to the combination of several traits (like their gender, race, and socioeconomic status.) Women with a multifarious background are able to use their experiences to resonate with millions of people. They reflect the real complexities of society, and illuminate the process of navigating life while facing discrimination in multiple areas. A few women at this intersection are Francheska Medina, Janet Mock, Snoh Aalegra, Jo Franco, and Chika — these women are making great strides in fields like wellness, music, and entertainment. 

Health and wellness is a trendy topic nowadays. However Francheska Medina, also known as “Hey Fran Hey”, has been navigating the wellness industry for nearly a decade! Medina is an Afro-Latina woman hailing from Harlem, New York, and didn’t always have the life she leads today. While growing up in poverty was tough, it taught her two crucial assets: grit and creativity. In her twenties, Medina moved to Atlanta to pursue a music career but unfortunately, her dreams were interrupted by an incessant illness. After many short-lived medical treatments, she decided to turn to holistic remedies instead. Holistic remedies address mind and body, which create an internal and innate response. Ultimately, Medina believes that this switch to holistic medicinal practices is what saved her life and catapulted her career, allowing her to connect untapped communities to wellness. Today, she has several platforms that she uses to spread her knowledge to others, including the “Hey Fran Hey” channel on YouTube, The Friendzone Podcast, and The Activation Tour, which she uses to teach wellness around the world! Through all of these avenues, she connects her “around the way” edge to wellness. 

Another incredible woman to note is Janet Mock — writer, director, and producer of the breakout Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated FX series Pose. Born in Hawaii to an African-American father and biracial mother, Mock embraces her culture whole-heartedly. In 2014, Mock published Redefining Realness, a memoir recounting her early experiences as a transgender woman, which garnered astounding attention and made her a prominent voice for the trans community. In 2017, Mock released her second memoir titled Surpassing Certainty, which focused on retelling life stories and reflecting on her journeys throughout her twenties. Her memoirs are the precursor of Pose, which portrays the journey of transgender women in the New York City during the height of the ballroom culture during the late 1980s. Additionally, it depicts the dichotomy between various identities and cultures in New York City and shows them through various lenses. Janet Mock continues to pave the way for trans women of color through her work, making her a staple name to celebrate throughout all of Women’s History Month. 

The third notable woman on our list is up and coming singer-songwriter Snoh Aalegra, who has already managed to defy musical expectations and through her sound. Many know Snoh Aalegra from her 2019 single “I Want You Around”, but she is no overnight success. This Swedish-Persian Virgo started her artistry in 2009 under the stage name “Sheri”. Prior to her single release in 2019, Aalegra had yet to garnish much mainstream attention here in America. However, in 2014, she rebranded into her current stage name, Snoh Aalegra. Part of what makes this rebranding so crucial to her career is that it allowed her to focus on her unique sound, which is extremely sonically diverse and unconventional. She was able use her new-found stardom to land a mentorship with Prince! In 2017, Snoh dropped Feels, a palpable album, with her single “Time” being sampled on Drake’s “Do Not Disturb”. Later in 2019, she debuted Ugh, Those Feels Again, which peaked at #6 on the U.S. R&B Charts! Ultimately, Aalegra’s steady success shows that hard work pays off and integrity creates an authentic following. As for now, she’s laying low and planning for her next album release. But in the meantime, we’d definitely recommend checking out her NPR Tiny Desk performance! 

Another amazing woman going on our list is Jo Franco  — businesswoman, content creator, multilinguist — the list goes on! Brizilian-born and Connecticut raised, Franco quickly learned about the crossing of identities, and it taught her the value and importance of embracing your  culture. While attending Pace University, she studied International Management and would later go on to meet her current travel partner and exploration sidekick,  Damon Dominique. In 2013, the two launched a YouTube channel called “DamonAndJo” to help younger and inexperienced travelers by sharing tips on how to travel the world on a budget. Little did she know, this venture would change her life for the better. Franco’s endeavors eventually transformed into an entire brand. After graduating in 2014, Franco determined that she found more fulfillment and knowledge found through traveling than getting her degree. Her journey navigating the world has created a fruitful brand and influenced millions to explore life. 

Our final intersectional dynamite of a woman is Grammy-nominated rapper Chika, known for  using her experience and her identity as fuel for her music. As an African-American rapper and a member of the LGBTQ+ community, she pulls from many different facets. Her career started on social media in 2016, and she immediately began capturing the hearts of many through one minute videos. Chika rapped about current events in an unique and innovative way, allowing her to grow her audience at an ultra-fast pace. Another part of Chika’s charm is her freestyles, which have caught the attention of many big names in the industry, including Diddy, Erykah Badu, and Lena Waithe. In 2019, Chika accepted an offer from Warner Records. Within the following year, her debut album Industry Games was released! Sonically, it combines obscure instrumental with her rare rapping style, which is pure magic. Furthermore, she creates her flow from authentic personal experiences that many can relate to. Chika is one to watch. 

So when you’re celebrating Women’s History Month, be sure to acknowledge and include the women who are testing and bending the barriers. These women stand at the intersection unapologetically. 

Cimaya McCreary

Oglethorpe '24

Cimaya McCreary is a full-time psychology student by day and part-time music playlist creator by night! Occasionally, she gets her life in order -- it's a journey.
Katie Hunter

Oglethorpe '22

Katie is a junior majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Urban Leadership. She is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Oglethorpe. She likes to stay busy at Oglethorpe as a member of the women's tennis team, a member of Alpha Sigma Tau sorority, and as a research assistant studying public relations and non-profits. In her free time, you’ll probably find her drinking iced coffee and watching reality TV.