This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oglethorpe chapter.

When I was a freshman in high school, my AP Human Geography teacher (shout out to Mr. Moore) gave us an article to read that forever changed my view on consumerism. The article? The Global Food Crisis- The End of Plenty by Joel K. Bourne. 

Reading this article sent me down a tree-hugging rabbit hole that opened my eyes to the sustainable options that we, as consumers, are not easily given.

Let’s face it, capitalism has contributed to the way we consume and how our consumerism affects the environment. I would love to say that the outcome is all sunshine and daisies, but unfortunately, it’s quite literally the opposite. The way we have been conditioned to consume is killing our home.

The way products are made and disposed of creates waste and toxic runoff, which has already taken up or destroyed a huge chunk of arable land. 

I do not blame us consumers, but rather the corporations that hold a monopoly on the items we use every single day. It is also not a secret that a lot of these natural and organic food items are not the cheapest options. Therefore, my focus in this article is not food, but the disposable items around you.

Now, you might be thinking: recycling! But according to the EPA, out of 292.4 million tons of municipal solid waste, only 32.1 percent of it is recycled and composted. Hearing this fact made me feel like only recycling wasn’t enough. So, I turned to options that decrease the amount of waste or non-biodegradable waste that I put out into the world.

Again, I would like to emphasize that you should not bear the weight of the ways capitalism has driven our method of consumption. My methods are purely for my pockets and conscience. 

1. Reusable Shopping Bags

The first switch is reusable shopping bags. You might have some, but if you were like me, I always forgot to leave them in my car or didn’t bring enough with me. By making them a part of your preparation for a trip to the store, you will reduce the amount of plastic bags you bring home. However, do not forget to wash these often! Bacteria can build up from meat or veggies and stink. Some bags can be thrown in the washer, or if they are more plastic, a good wipe down or soak with disinfectant should prepare you for the next trip. You can also label your bags “Dry” “Meat” “Dairy” “Clothing/Home Goods” to avoid cross-contamination. Some places are now starting to charge for use of bags, so this could save you a couple of cents if it becomes a wider-scale phenomenon. 

2. Reusable Cotton Rounds

If you use a toner in your skincare routine, you are probably more than familiar with a roll of disposable cotton rounds. What if you bought a roll of 12, washable, extremely soft, cotton rounds and never had to buy another plastic-wrapped roll again? You can find a number of these on Etsy in every shape, pattern, and size you can imagine. I bought mine from Greendly, and they even came with a laundry bag to keep them all together in the wash. I love my cotton rounds, and they have even replaced the disposable exfoliating sponges I used with my face wash. This switch has certainly saved me tens of dollars monthly. 

3. Shampoo and Conditioner Bars

As someone with thick, curly, and color-treated hair, I was beyond hesitant about using these. I had already spent years trying to perfect my hair care routine to best fit my ringlets, so, naturally, even my love for the environment couldn’t compare to the love I have for my hair. The Earthling Co.’s shampoo and conditioner bars had been popping up in my Instagram feed for a while, so I decided to bite and order from them. 

They have a mini test as you click on their tab for shampoo and conditioner bars to determine your hair type and goals. After I clicked the options that fit me best, they presented me with sulfate-free and color-friendly options. I went with the Wild Vanilla pair. Within a week, I received them in low-waste, recycled packaging.

Dear reader, these little soap bars exceeded my expectations. Product build-up has nothing against their shampoo. A little goes a long way, and with a sixteenth of the amount I am used to using, my strands were all lathered up. I could feel my hair getting softer as I worked the conditioner through my hair. I barely saw any of my beloved pink hair dye go down the drain. Also, it smelled amazing. I would be lying if I said I didn’t fall asleep that night happily sniffing my hair.

Additionally, you can cut down on shampoo use by using a scalp massager. It gets the shampoo down where it needs to be and keeps you from adding more and more to try to get it all clean. I find it very important to utilize your items to their full extent to save money!

4. Wool Dryer Balls

My wool dryer balls are my best friends. They save me money, as they last for at least 8 months, and they are effective. I know a big plus of dryer sheets is that “fresh and clean cotton” smell you get, but rest assured that this can still be achieved with wool. 

There are many ways you can go about this. Because I have a cat whose items I wash often, I chose not to go the essential oils route, as they can be extremely harmful to cats. Initially, I stuck some dried green sage and lavender from my garden and put them in the bag that came with my six-pack of black wool dryer balls. While it didn’t leave my clothes smelling quite like my witchy garden, they didn’t smell like previously wet clothes. It did enough to keep them smelling fresh, which is enough for me.

However, if my concerns do not apply to you, you can go the essential oils route. Some wool dryer companies sell them and even have “fresh” smelling mixes.

The great thing about sustainability is how easy it is to adjust it to your way of living. Wool dryer balls come in multiple colors. After some research, I chose to buy black wool dryer balls, as most of my clothing is black. The wool balls can sometimes leave fibers on the clothing, so white was not the main route for me. However, I did still purchase a trio of white wool dryer balls. I throw these in when I have more color than darks in my load or need extra reinforcement with bulky items like towels or blankets.

I also find that my clothing dries so much faster when I use dryer balls. I’m sure there is some scientific reason for it, but I’m a theatre major and haven’t the slightest clue. All I know is that cutting down your drying time also saves energy!

5. Reusable Utensils

Think about how many times you go grab a bite at a fast-food/service restaurant and grab a plastic pack of disposable utensils to eat your meal with– I’m talking straws, knives, forks, spoons… Even sporks. Most college campuses also offer these plastic utensils during meal times. If you’re anything like me, once I realized how much plastic got thrown away each time I ate out or at school, I felt incredibly wasteful. I decided to fix this by purchasing a set of reusable metal straws with rubber bits (they help keep your tongue intact when you drink something hot) and 2 sets of bamboo eating utensils: forks, knives, and spoons. I prefer these bamboo ones over metal utensils because they are lightweight.

I recommend buying 2-3 eating sets. One to use, one to wash, and– if you get that third one– a backup. I used the pouch my straw set came in to hold my utensils. After each meal of the day, you can wipe or rinse them down in preparation for the next one. You can find a baggie or a tin to keep yours in. I recommend something that fits in your purse or backpack, for easy access. After each meal, you can wipe or rinse them down in preparation for the next one. At the end of the day, I wash them and start all over again.

6. Glass Jars

My family saw me go full hippy the minute I ran towards them, urging them to keep the glass jars from our pasta sauces, jams, palm of hearts, etc. I can turn a jar into anything. I’ve used them to keep hold of my used reusable cotton rounds until I can wash them, store shower scrubs I’ve made for myself, organize my makeup brushes, and even decorate them to be reborn as pencil/paintbrush cups. After a while, I decided to simply use them as cups. This method is an easy way to guarantee the glass you used gets repurposed instead of being thrown into a junkyard. Also, it saves you from dropping money to buy a set for yourself when you go off to college. No one cares if you have 20 different jars as cups in college. 

7. Castile Soap

Castile Soap can do anything. I use it as an all-purpose cleaner and hand soap. Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap comes with multiple water and soap combos you can make to fit your needs. They also come in multiple scents. I find this an incredible money saver, as most of the product gets diluted. You can find all the ways you can use this soap here.

While the packaging is made out of recycled plastic, it is still plastic, so where does it fit into our goal? Having one bottle that can turn into multiple products is better than buying 5 different plastic bottles for 5 other things. By keeping your products confined to one plastic container you are contributing to low waste. Also, you don’t have to go out and buy those 5 other things. If you’re still hesitant to put this bottle in the recycling bin, you can keep it and fill it with huge batches of your other Dr. Bronner creations. This particular company is also dedicated to the same cause of sustainability, so your use is extra guilt-free. 

8. Repurposing Old T-Shirts

As a theatre kid and a former marching band kid, I have so many show T-Shirts. If you have a build-up of those very specific T-Shirts like me, you may also have them just sitting there in a clothes bin, wondering what you’ll do next with them. Plato’s Closet won’t take it, and you can’t imagine it’ll have a second life after Goodwill or a thrift store when it has such a personal design. 

So what do you do? So many things. 

I found three shirts that I knew I was never going to wear again and just went to town with a pair of scissors. I cut that fabric into strips, tied them all together in a knot, and gave them to my cats. They made the perfect little toys for my perfect little children. 

You can also cut portions into large squares and use them as rags for cleaning. It reuses an item you have and reduces the number of paper towels you might use (or buy)!

Following a tip I found for curly-haired people, I also started storing these shirts and used them as hair towels. Regular cotton towels can pull on our delicate ringlets and contribute to frizz. The texture of cotton t-shirts does not allow for that, and is, therefore, better to dry your hair with. I also have color-treated hair, and I can rest easy knowing that I am using an old t-shirt rather than my mom’s nice towels or my way-too-cute bumblebee towels. 

If you aren’t willing to cut up your memorabilia (so valid), you can also make them into a quilt! Turn it into a fun DIY project for yourself, or you can also commission a small business owner!

Overall, sustainability can be not only customizable but low price and low waste. Once you start seeing how useful the items around you can be, there is honestly no going back. I’ve pulled my family into my sustainable world, and we are much happier saving money and finding ourselves taking the trash out less often. I have discovered a whole new appreciation for the everyday products around us, and I hope you feel empowered to do the same. 

Rachael Morris

Oglethorpe '24

✰ Hi! My name is Rachael. My pronouns are she/they. ✰ I'm a theatre major, future mortician, and writing enthusiast. ✰ Event Director for the Oglethorpe University Her Campus Chapter