This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oglethorpe chapter.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder—big words that I know the definition of separately, but together? Don’t ask me. 

All I know is how it affects me.

‘Needs Improvement’ on my elementary school report card. Comments like ‘Talks too much’. I have never been able to focus quite as well as my peers, fidgeting, constantly forgetting things, moving from task to task without completion of any, impulsive actions, inability to stay organized, etc, etc, etc. I could go on, but it’s not my job to outline what’s wrong with me. That’s my therapist’s job. 

Despite all that, going through most of my educational years without treatment taught me a thing or two about how to cope with whatever was going on in my little noggin. So, here are 4 ways to survive college with ADHD, by a person with ADHD. 

1. Accommodations.

Consider applying for academic accommodations with your university. This helps shape your education to who you are as a neurodivergent person. Sending emails and communicating with your doctors or faculty might seem scary, so there’s no shame in asking for help from your peers to do so. You can always reach out to your peer accessibility liaisons for extra help. Do not be ashamed to send follow-up emails, ask for updates, or be assertive. This is your mental health and education. Go get ‘em! 

2. Organize, Organize, Organize.

This sounds crazy, I know. You’re probably thinking ‘It is impossible for me to stay organized,’ which is valid. But hear me out: you do not need to change the way you interact with your space, but change the way your space interacts with you. Giving yourself plenty of organizers, printouts, folders, binders, etc. can guarantee that something will always have a place. Also, you’re literally in college. Who cares if you have a couple of shirts on the floor? You are pursuing a whole degree! Cut yourself some slack. 

Additionally, I use a planner––one with all the bells and whistles––to keep my life organized and institute a strict cleaning schedule to prevent ending up shin-deep in mess. The investment is worth it, and you will feel so much better and prepared when you can look at your life day by day, week by week, or month by month and see where everything fits. You can make it fun by giving each class or extracurricular activity a certain color. Some planners even come with stickers that help bring attention to important events like doctor’s appointments, bills, and papers.

3. Okay, I’ve Tried That and I’m Still So Messy it Makes Me Nervous. 

No worries. There’s a way to handle that. I use the Junebugging Method. You pick one area to clean. I start with the floor. Rooms immediately look cleaner when you can see the floor. When your first area is done, you move on to the next one. This method helps you to not get so overwhelmed with the big picture. It’s easier to clean one spot than try to clean your whole area at once. This is the order I go in:

• Floor

• Bed

• Desk

• Drawers

• Bathroom (if applicable) 

• Trash or anything else out of place 

If your life is still unorganized, consider finding an Accountability Buddy. Find someone that participates in your problem area commitments and agree to keep each other in check. You never know if they might need it too. You can study together, remind the other of upcoming dates, or just sit in silence as you work on the required material. 

4. Can’t Focus in Class? 

There are multiple ways I tackle this problem. I know fidget spinners were made into a trend, but do not let this deter you from any fidget gadgets. Fidget toys keep you grounded to where you are in the moment, which allows you to focus on a lecture or lesson. Your hands are engaged, which lessens the chances of your mind wandering somewhere else, as you’ve already maxed out the concentration capacity of your brain. 

If fidget toys do not work for you, there is no shame in doodling or even playing a game on your phone. ‘But Rachael!’ you cry, ‘What if the professors think I’m not paying attention!’ Valid concern. Solution: Talk to them. You are not the first— and you will not be the last— neurodivergent student your professors have taught. I have circumvented multiple misunderstandings by being upfront in person or in an email. 

What if no amount of fidget toys, artistic masterpieces, or Candy Crush will appease your focus? Where do you turn? Your notes.

Invest in fun colored and sparkly gel pens, colorful sticky notes, and fun notebooks. Turn your note-taking into something fun and engaging. Learn calligraphy or stick to your chicken scratch, but it’s hard to not focus on your notes when they are bright and attention-grabbing.

Fellow neurodivergents, we are worthy of comfort. It’s okay to ask for help, bombard your space with extra support, or even live in a little chaos. You are not obligated to try to go through life and school like your neurotypical peers. 

Rachael Morris

Oglethorpe '24

✰ Hi! My name is Rachael. My pronouns are she/they. ✰ I'm a theatre major, future mortician, and writing enthusiast. ✰ Event Director for the Oglethorpe University Her Campus Chapter
Kaitlin is a Junior Communications major and Psychology minor at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, Georgia. On campus, she's a member of the Alpha Sigma Tau sorority, Oglethorpe's Career Development team, and the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she isn't working or studying, Kaitlin enjoys writing, hiking, painting, and exploring the city with her friends.