We’re already well into the month of March as we anticipate warmer weather and rainy days. Another activity that is highly anticipated, other than St. Patrick’s Day, is the glorious art and celebration of Women’s History Month. Starting off with just a week back in 1978 in Santa Rosa, California, women marched and advocated that they too were powerful. Being on a college campus, I wondered what kind of things could be celebrated and honored during this time, and there are many wonderful events going on here at ODU’s campus! To see the full list of events on ODU’s campus, you can look here.
There is a lot to look out for this month, so here are some highlights of a few key events going on here at ODU:
- March 22 – Marvel Comics’ Gabby Rivera, writer of the “America” comic book series will give a talk in the North Cafeteria in the Webb Center at 6:30 p.m. Rivera will share how important it is to prioritize joy in queer and trans people of color communities. RSVP for Rivera’s talk here.
- March 28 – Songs, Stories and Soul: Open Mic Night (6:30 p.m. Chesapeake Room in Webb Center), in this open mic night open to all, forms of poetry, spoken word singing and dance are encouraged as it is centered around sharing women’s voices. RSVP for open mic night here.
- March 30 – Women’s Comedy Show (7 p.m. North Cafe in Webb Center) a SET Women Comedy Show featuring mock tails and refreshments!
Events in the 757:
- SheFest (2-10pm, Norfolk,Va) – “This event honors all who identify as she/her and those who have made strides toward gender equity in the beer industry. Despite this focus, #allarewelcome to celebrate Woman’s History Month with us!” Enjoy performances by: Cassidy Snider & The Wranglers, Karacell, Mack, Catie Lausen, Doiree + more!
- Divas3 ~ Honoring the Iconic Hits (7:30 pm-9:30pm Portsmouth, Va) – “A celebration of the biggest hits by the greatest Divas (best known for their starring roles in shows on the Las Vegas Strip and from TV’s American Idol) of the last four decades in pop music history sets the scene on stage featuring three female singers with powerhouse voices. Divas3 performs some of the greatest chart-toppers of the 1960s through the 1990s including tunes by Aretha Franklin, Carole King, Celine Dion + more”
There’s a lot to see on ODU’s campus during this month and many events to explore! Happy Women’s History Month!