Why You Shouldn’t Want Cosmetic Surgery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Cosmetic surgery is something that is in our faces constantly. We see it in the pages of magazines, all over television and on social media. Just scrolling through the discover page of Instagram, you will most likely see pictures of women who have had procedures done to look like a Kardashian or Jenner with a thin nose and full lips. The image of the “perfect” person is being forced by society and unfortunately makes people self-conscious about themselves. Why should anyone allow themselves to feel bad about how they look?

Source: Giphy

What you first need to know is that cosmetic surgery is different from plastic surgery. According to the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, cosmetic surgery is entirely focused on enhancing a patient’s appearance. This is done to improve the aesthetic, appeal, symmetry and proportions of things. While plastic surgery is defined as, “a surgical specialty dedicated to reconstruction of facial and body defects due to birth disorders, trauma, burns and disease.”

The types of procedures for cosmetic surgery are breast augmentation, facial and body contouring, rhinoplasty, brow lift and more. Pretty much anything to change your features to look a certain way. It’s something that is definitely not needed but wanted for personal preferences.

Source: Giphy

When you hear people saying that they are getting cosmetic surgery for themselves and because they want it done, think about this: If a female says she wants breast enhancement for herself, in reality, she really only wants it done because society has convinced her that her smaller breasts aren’t woman enough. Natural boobs in any size are amazing, big or small, and don’t ever let anyone tell you differently!

The same goes for noses, cheekbones and anything else. Why should we let people control anything about us? We shouldn’t give a shit about what others think because they aren’t us. They are their own beautiful selves and you are your own beautiful self.

When I look at someone who has had cosmetic surgery, I see someone who is scared. Someone who is scared of how they look to society. Someone who let others tell them what is attractive and what isn’t.

Source: Giphy

You can bet your ass that all of the celebs we see who have lip enhancement and breast enhancement are scared as hell too. Why would you want to look up to someone who didn’t have the courage to look in the mirror and tell themselves that they were naturally beautiful? These are not the people we should be looking up to for the idea of the “perfect” body. Just because they are in front of the cameras and can afford to “improve” their bodies does not mean that they should be what we look up to for body image standards.

Source: Giphy

Next time you look at yourself in the mirror and focus on the body part you are most self-conscious about, then tell yourself what my mom always told me. They’re just arms or they’re just legs. They serve their purpose and that’s all you should care about.

Source: Giphy

Hello! My name is Maggie and I am currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in journalism and a minor in communication at ODU. I write about my interests of beauty, music, fashion, and life advice. My uncle once said, "It's not illegal until you get caught," and I think those are words to live by. Follow me on Instagram @gisforglitter