This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

It’s that time of year again – rush week. Campus is filled with hundreds of girls all trying their shot at forever sisterhood and friendship. A time where money is paid, hearts are broken, and dreams (may) come true.

I would like to clarify I have no issues with sororities aside from my own pride and personal reasons. I have friends who are in sororities and we get along just fine. But this is why I didn’t personally join a sorority.

1. Girl Drama:

(Via PhotoPin)

It happens with any group as large as a sorority group, cliques form and trouble ensues. It’s something I don’t like myself personally getting into. I stay as far away from drama as possible and having to regularly interact with a bunch of clique-y girls is not my idea of a good time.

2. It’s Expensive:

It’s expensive to join most any organization (except for HC ODU, which is free!), but there are some seriously unnecessary costs when it comes to joining Greek life. Missing certain events and meetings can cost hundreds of dollars. When I have a couple hundred extra dollars, maybe I’ll reconsider joining.

3. I’m Too Busy:

I have a lot going on in my life at pretty much all times. I don’t need all the added stress of another extra curricular and, as stated above, all of the potential drama that goes into being in a sorority. I’m happy where I currently am and don’t regret not joining, but even if I did want to it wouldn’t be very realistic this late in the game.

My final reason is one of pride. Like I wrote earlier, I have nothing against sorority life, but there is a stigma that follows it around. At the end of the day, it feels too much like I’m paying for my friends. When I came to ODU, I had a goal to meet everyone I know organically, making friendships and developing relationships in a more natural way.

(Via PhotoPin)

ODU has a lot of diverse Greek life on campus, and while some adhere to certain stereotypes, others do not. Lots of sororities and fraternities do good for the community and the school, but at the end of the day, I am happier with the choices I have made. If you’re looking to get involved but don’t know where to start, Greek life is a good place to start. It’s not for everyone, and it’s surely not for me, but there’s never anything wrong with being involved on campus.      

Hello! My name is Lindsey Lanham. I go to Old Dominion Univeristy in Norfolk VA, and am currently majoring in journalism with a minor in communication. I am the marketing director for the ODU chapter. I hope to shine light on the local art and artists in Norfolk.