neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What is Domestic Abuse?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

How many people really know what domestic abuse is? We hear about it, see TV shows about it, even see it in movies but do we really know the depth of it? And how do we know if we are in a domestically abusive relationship?

Source: Giphy

For starters, domestic abuse does not discriminate. It can happen to any race, age, sexual orientation, gender or religion. It doesn’t really depend on if you’re living with that person or not domestic abuse takes on many different shapes and forms.

There are multiple signs of a domestically abusive relationship so here’s a few to look out for…

1. Telling you that you can never do anything right

Source: Giphy

If anyone is in a relationship and their partner is saying that they can never do something right that is a form of abuse. In a relationship, it is you and your partner’s job to lift each other up. If you can’t depend on your partner to be your biggest supporter and cheerleader, it can definitely hurt or destroy your self-esteem. Ever heard of self-fulfilling prophecy? When people plant seeds of negativity into your mind it’s easy to believe what they tell you, especially if you value that person and their opinion. This can, and likely will, lead to you not giving your all in the things you do.

2. Prevents you from working or excelling in school

Source: Giphy

Red flag alert! A relationship is supposed to be supportive, especially if you and/or your partner is working. They should be supportive and respectful of your time and responsibilities, this also includes school. Not to be that person, but relationships are never guaranteed but your education and your income are things that can be guaranteed. No partner should ever make you feel like you have to choose between them and school or work.

3. Money Control

Source: Giphy

This is something that I had to experience first-hand. My partner in times of hardship, while he was unemployed, would make me feel guilty if I spent money on things that I liked whether it be clothes, eating out, or getting a new book. He would try to control my money by using guilt and saying that it’s was interesting how I would spend my hard-earned money on things that I would want but not have money to “help him” when he needed it. Nothing about that is fair. Your money is your money. No one should ever make you feel guilty about indulging in something that you want especially if it’s not negative.

4. Put-downs

Source: Giphy

Say you tried a new makeup idea that you saw on Pinterest, or tried to cook a new recipe, if your partner doesn’t encourage you and puts you down about wanting to do it or the end result that is abuse. You’re not going to be as inspired to continue to see where things go or how good you’re going to get if your self-esteem is broken before you even had a chance to flourish and show your full potential.

These are just a few of the many signs of domestic abuse. I encourage you to do more research and evaluate your relationship. Speaking from personal experience, you don’t know until you’re educated about what to look for. So don’t be discouraged, don’t be afraid, and don’t think that just because things are seemingly perfect you shouldn’t learn about domestic abuse. Everything starts with you, whether it’s helping you, or someone you know, out of a situation, you can’t help if you don’t know the signs.

Source: Giphy

For additional info check out http://www.thehotline.org/is-this-abuse/abuse-defined/

Hey! The name is Khaiara but people tend to call me Kay or Khai! I am a junior at Old Dominion, Human Service major and dog lover! I am a die hard humanitarian and my goal is to help people the best I can! The world is big and I just want to leave my mark! My hobbies include drawing, painting, and occasional blogging! Before I started writing for HC ODU I ran my own personal blog site http://www.discoveringwoman.com/. I love writing and plan to continue after I graduate. Follow me on social media if ya want @kaymurrlli