Kristen Bryant-Winky Face With Pills
Kristen Bryant-Winky Face With Pills
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

Vitamins, Vitamins and More Vitamins! 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

How do you know which ones are right for you? 

Gummies or pill form? Which options are the best for me?  Should I just see my doctor instead? 

At the time, my previous boyfriend noticed my low iron levels and invested in iron supplements for me. Although the iron supplements produced a noticeable difference, the other vitamins that I took did not have the same effect.

A large chunk of my paychecks have contributed to my impulsive purchases of vitamins and other trendy health crazes. However, I did not conduct any research to ensure I was purchasing the right vitamins for myself. Although stores like TJMaxx and Ross Dress for Less have amazing deals on health and beauty, I prefer to go to The Vitamin Shoppe for the necessities. 

The most familiar types of vitamins for me included elderberry, hair, skin and nails combination, apple cider vinegar and vitamin A through a wide range of all the letters of the alphabet.       

Here are a few things to keep in mind when looking for what you need:

Research

Before buying something as important as vitamins, it is vital to know the brands that are offered and what your body needs. In my experience, taking iron supplements have impacted my energy levels, which led me to continue to buy them. As time progressed, I invested in a multivitamin that made little difference. 

If you are unsure of the necessary vitamins to add to your list I recommend talking to your physician to see what is best for you.  

Consider your budget

If you are a college student, like me, then you most likely want to ensure that your refund check does not go to waste. The vitamins that you buy may be costly, but may be worth it in the long run if you consistently take them. Many stores have a points system where you gain points for every purchase, which will eventually give coupons and deals that help for a college-friendly budget.

Weigh your options

Certain brands may offer every vitamin that you need, and that makes the decision easier for you. Other brands typically focus on certain needs which leads you to branch out. Seize that opportunity to mix-and-match if possible!

Talk to your doctor

If you consult with your physician about your health goals and needs, they will work with you to know what is most necessary. You may have normal levels in most areas but have deficiencies in another area. Their professional advice may save you the hassle of taking the wrong vitamins or taking an excessive amount.

Take time to discover what vitamins are best for you.  Whether you need protein, digestion help or vitamins and supplements, there is something for everyone! It boils down to your choice of vitamins. It is truly your decision to do what you believe is best for your body.

Hello! I'm Joneisha, and I am a senior majoring in English at ODU with a professional writing concentration! Reading and writing are two of my more interwoven passions that have stuck with me since I was a child. I look forward to great things in the future! Be blessed!