freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A True, Tinder, Love Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Last week, we released an article regarding Tinder. It was boasted that the app had started to fall short of it’s “hook-up” appeal, and users are now downloading the app in hopes of actually finding substantial relationships. To show a little proof in the pudding, HerCampus set out to find happy (and the horrific)  Tinder stories. Turns out, the happy couples aren’t hard to find. Now, without further adieu, we present the first in a series of stories we intend to share regarding Tinder (the good, the bad, and the nasty.) To start out light, we introduce to you a couple who’s swiping landed them a love story Nicholas Sparks would’ve written himself.

This week, I was given the opportunity to interview Jessica Eaton, a sophomore at Longwood College. As a talented softball player and dedicated student, Ms. Eaton seems to have it all. Did I mention her “envy-worthy” relationship of almost two years? Yes, on top of everything else going for her, Jessica seems to have found herself in a relationship with her best friend. How did she land the big one you ask? You guessed it: Tinder.

Firstly, congratulations on your relationships success! Looks like you’ve found what we’re all looking for. So when did you meet your current boyfriend (from Tinder), and how long have you been dating?

We have been dating for a year and seven months!

Describe your first date, was the connection instant?

Our first date was me, meeting him at his house. I was completely thrown off from how different we were brought up. I was honestly considering leaving until he came out, so I got out. We walked inside and he introduced me to his mom and it was a little awkward since I barely even knew him

But then we went to lunch and just talked about our families, our hobbies/interests and… we kind of just clicked. I ended up spending the rest of the day with him. When I asked to see him the next day, he said yes!

Do you tell people (family, friends) you two met on tinder? If so, what kind of reactions do you get?

I’m more open with my friends about how we met. Because they (my family) usually shoot down tinder or online dating. My mom and dad think Tinder is strictly a hookup app, so I didn’t tell them that’s how we met. I will eventually, but I just think it’d be awkward. People are usually surprised we met off tinder since it’s labeled as a hookup app.

Do you think you would have ever met if not for Tinder?

Honestly I don’t think we would have met if not for Tinder. He went to a private high school, and I was going to a public high school. At the time, attending Old Dominion University, and I was heading off to Longwood. It was kind of just fate I think.

Describe your relationship for us, what makes it work?

I definitely think we clicked that first day. It was kind of love at first sight. The first day I met him, I was instantly crazy about him. He is my best friend and I’m still just as into him as I was the first day we met. We were both in really bad places with our lives (and ourselves) at the time. We built each other up and we both agree this is the happiest we’ve ever been. Everyday is a new adventure with him around. He keeps me on my toes and I love it. He gets me to try new things and I’ve had some amazing experiences during our relationship. I’m forever grateful for all the memories I have made with him. I do think our bond is strong enough to take it to the next level. We both agree we are just way too young for a marriage, but it’s crossed our minds several times.

Any advice for those thinking of leaping into the world of Tinder?

Online dating isn’t always disastrous, I definitely think people should give it a chance. Without tinder, there is no way our paths would have crossed. I just can’t imagine my current life without him. I truly do think we were meant to be together.

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!