Style

Too Much Care: The Devolution of Grunge Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Native to the gloomy underground scene of 1980s Washington State, the grunge genre came as a way to entertain the aimless, neglected youth – known today as Generation X. Led by bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam, grunge soon dominated the airwaves and, shortly after, the closets and dressers of everyone who tuned in.

From the jump, grunge fashion – and music – took inspiration from the generation’s mental and emotional turmoil. Feeling out of place, frustrated and straight-up depressed, they couldn’t care less about the neon colors or abstract prints worn by most during the ‘80s. Instead, the disenchanted group strayed from the beaten path by shopping at thrift and army surplus stores. Pieces such as ripped jeans, combat boots, faded flannels, outdated shirts, vintage dresses and oversized sweaters wound up defining the following decade. To dress grunge was to be casual, dirty, comfortable and unkempt, ready for any type of situation. The subculture’s style was both thoughtless and edgy – the clothes and wearers both visibly worn.

As products of both hippies and punk music, Gen Xers and their fashion choices have conveyed anti-materialistic and nihilistic beliefs, amongst others. They cared little about how they were perceived or what society thought they should say and do. Grunge was self-expression to its core, creating room for those pushed out of the picture.

Today, grunge has become what it never was. Known better as ‘90s fashion, it’s now a game of aesthetics and trends. People wear band tees they bought at Forever 21, hoping to fit in with the popular crowd or emulate certain celebrities. Fashion designers take the look and twist it into something glamorous, hoping to make a hefty profit from elitist runway shows.

Either way, dressing grunge is now an attempt at looking good rather than showcasing one’s true self.

But I digress, fashion is a constantly changing part of our lives and identities, and there’s no harm in drawing inspiration from styles of the past. Besides, there are many Gen Xers who still blast Soundgarden and younger kids who find solace in grunge lyrics and ideologies. Moreover, people are simply allowed to wear what they want – it doesn’t matter what a disgruntled 21-year-old has to say about it.

Aside from looks, the act of dressing grunge greatly intertwines sustainability and fashion. By purchasing hand-me-downs from various thrift stores, we avoid supporting fast fashion and other negative practices that make up the industry. Plus, thrift shopping perpetuates grunge’s anti-materialism. And who knows, you might even find an authentic pair of jeans or boots from the time when grunge was alive and kicking – because, let’s be honest, it died with legends like Kurt Cobain and Chris Cornell.

Hi, my name is Paige! I'm a former journalism student at ODU, as well as Her Campus ODU's former Culture Editor. Check out my stories!