Culture > News

The USWNT Strengthens the Fight for Equal Pay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

On Feb. 22, the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT) finally won their well-deserved $24 million payback from U.S. Soccer, which put an end to their heated six-year legal battle and further established equal pay as standard.

In Mar. 2016 – around the same time that the USWNT was gearing up for their heartbreaking defeat in the Summer Olympics – star players Hope Solo, Carli Llyod, Becky Sauerbrunn, Alex Morgan, and Megan Rapinoe filed a wage discrimination claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Despite their impressive number of World Cups and gold medals, as well as their bringing in arguably more revenue and fan excitement, the number-one ranking team was met with opposition from U.S. Soccer. According to The New York Times, USWNT’s wage calculations were deemed “inaccurate [and] misleading.”

Undeterred, the group of all-star athletes quickly decided to strengthen their fight. In early 2017, the team replaced their union’s executive director, brought in new lawyers and elected players like Sauerbrunn and Christen Press to leadership roles previously undertaken by the fired group. They educated themselves on subjects such as public relations and labor law, created and worked with other subcommittees and came up with an improved collective bargaining agreement. U.S. Soccer eventually agreed to the USWNT’s terms, granting them a pay increase of over 30 percent and better bonuses resulting from each match.

While this win improved the sport’s treatment of its women athletes, it still wasn’t enough. In Mar. 2019, the USWNT withdrew their initial complaint and decided to sue U.S. Soccer for gender discrimination. For years, the team dealt with unequal training and coaching, playing inconsistencies, medical treatment, hotel accommodations, transportation methods and more. They were backed by many including then-Senator Kamala D. Harris, Senator Elizabeth Warren and, of course, their fans. After winning the World Cup for the fourth time in July 2019, the crowd erupted in chants of “Equal pay!” to show their support – which was seen on TV and experienced live by a total of 1.12 billion people.

Boosted by their supporters, the USWNT declared in 2020 that they were owed $67 million in payback as well as paid child-care assistance, medical and dental insurance and more. In response to the women’s terms, U.S. Soccer’s lawyers stated that “indisputable science” proved that the men’s team required more skill, responsibility and effort. The lawyers were then fired and U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro promptly resigned.

In Apr. 2020, the USWNT had the chance to take their case to court, but things didn’t go as planned. Siding with U.S. Soccer, judge R. Gary Klausner of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of CA dismissed the team, ruling that they were paid more than their male counterparts. The women filed for an appeal a few months later and U.S. Soccer, under their new president, Cindy Parlow Cone, started the conversation for a new settlement. Additionally, they began making the changes for equality regarding hotel accommodations, staffing, venues and more. And in Feb. of this year, the USWNT and U.S. Soccer agreed to a $24 million payback as well as millions more for a fund dedicated to post-career plans and growing the women’s game.

“I did think we would get to this point, 100 percent,” states Rapinoe in an interview with ESPN. “I did think we would win all along in this. This is a win for us. And this is a win for the players for the next generation, for women’s players around the world.”

Throughout the USWNT’s fight for equal pay and treatment, they have inspired many other athletes to do the same. From the Professional Women’s Hockey Players Association fighting for sustainability to South Florida Youth Soccer players finding their voices, the change brought about by the four-time World Cup champs is undoubtedly crucial for women’s sports.

But, while some see the USWNT settlement as a huge win, others like Solo see it as the opposite. As pointed out by the former U.S. goalkeeper, the current payback has set its sights on certain players and U.S. Soccer has only promised to move forward with equal pay.

For decades, this fight has been complicated beyond belief. It is an unrelenting cha-cha, moving women two steps forward, then one step back. It doesn’t end with a $24 million payback or more women leading in powerful positions, though they certainly help. What the USWNT has shown us is that equality is possible. And if they can succeed, imagine what the rest of us can do.

Hi, my name is Paige! I'm a former journalism student at ODU, as well as Her Campus ODU's former Culture Editor. Check out my stories!