Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

Sisterhood and service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Sororities generally have a bad reputation for being cliques full of mean girls who all dress the same and want to party their college years away.  But for many young women who join them, sororities can be a genuine source of connection and good for building lifelong female friendships.  Both social and service sororities alike function not only as ways to socialize and bond with peers, but as a way for college-aged women to build career connections and give back to their community.

“After joining Kappa Delta and being in the org for over three years, my sisters have proved the stereotype so wrong,” said Monica Freibott, who is the President of her social sorority at ODU. “We hold each other accountable, academically and emotionally. We encourage each other to be our best.”

“I chose to join for networking opportunities, to have a strong connection/friendship with people who have the same values as me, and to support a cause I care about,” said Carlie Morton, a new member of Kappa Delta. “The most fun part is being able to have people to do things with and that can support each other no matter what!”

Some may have the misconception that a social sorority focuses solely on group bonding and unity activities, while service sororities focus primarily on doing community services but this is not the case.  Both types of sororities frequently participate in both types of activities.

The Kappa Delta social sorority has two main philanthropies:  Prevent Child Abuse America and Girl Scouts of the USA.  “Our main events include shamrock 5k, shamrock week, kornhole for the kids and International Girls Day,” said Freibott. “We also team up with other organizations to support their philanthropies such as breast cancer awareness and women’s heart health!”

In the Omega Phi Alpha service sorority, there are six areas of service members are expected to fulfill:  service to the university community, the community at large, the members of the sorority, the nations of the world, mental health, and the annual president’s project.

“I joined to make friends and volunteer,” said OPA member Annika Peterson. “It’s been so awesome and has definitely given me a family of great people who are passionate about service.”

Both Freibott and Peterson said they feel supported by Nationals, their fellow sisters, and their  executive board members.

“My executive board has been nothing but supportive. We work together to help the chapter grow,” said Freibott. “I communicate with nationals daily and they are extremely helpful with everything from budgeting issues or me just having a stressful day as president.”

“Holding an executive board position has been a little difficult just because we’re a newer chapter and I hold two positions,” said Peterson, who is the Vice President and Sisterhood Director. “We all work really hard to make sure the chapter and new members feel supported and have fun while also fulfilling the requirements of the sorority.”

Both sororities have anti-hazing policies directed by the chapter and nationals. Both organizations also pride themselves on diversity. While anyone who identifies as a woman is welcome to join Kappa Delta, OPA is co-ed.

“The best part of being in a sorority is doing things for others as a team,” said Peterson. “I think we work really hard to create a culture of positivity and support in our chapter. We want everyone to feel included and integral to what we do because without our members we wouldn’t be able to serve to the best of our ability.”

Freibott said her favorite part of being in her sorority is meeting people from all different organizations.  “We have sisters from all different backgrounds and upbringings. Sororities are so much more than what people may think!”

Hi, my name is Rachel Mantos and I am a senior at Old Dominion University. I am majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Film and Video Studies.