lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Single Versus Dating: What Side Are You On?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

With everything in life, there are two sides. A positive and negative. A good and bad. The dark side versus the light. Then you get to the single versus dating debate. Which lifestyle is the best?

Through life, we have experienced both sides, of course, because not everyone has had that Prince Charming come in as the first boyfriend, so we all have had a taste of the single life. Let’s talk about the pros and cons of dating versus single life and you decide which is the lesser of two evils.

Time

Source: Giphy

DP: Nothing can be more fun than spending time with someone especially if it’s on a dating level! Romantic dinners,  movie cuddles, ect.! Even relaxing at home can be amazing with that special person!

SP: Alone time!  Being with people can be great but sometimes you are going to want to be alone. Going on solo shopping sprees, sweats on deck, or in the famous words of Sex in the City showing your “super secret single behavior”!

Figuring Yourself Out

Source: Giphy

DP: The best teacher in the world is an experience!  You can look at millions of people and think that’s what you want but you never really know until you try it on for size. You learn that not every pretty face has a great attitude, and what you’re willing to tolerate in a partner! Who knows, you may find out that nerdy guy in your class is an amazing person!

SP: What is your passion? Ambitions?  Do you have goals that you want to accomplish aside from being a great partner?  Have you ever wanted to go on a trip with your friends and considered moving somewhere new?  When you experience this kind of freedom it’s like anything is possible! Be honest with yourself,  would you really be willing to move somewhere new of you have a partner? That’s a whole extra human being to factor into the plan and if it’s not a long haul thing it can be quite a roadblock!  Like RuPaul would say “if you can’t live yourself,  how the hell you gonna love someone else? ” Single time is the best time to give yourself that self-love and affection you need!

Freedom!

Source: Giphy

DP: When you’re in a relationship, of course, freedom is very scarce, but it’s worth it sometimes. Nothing is more refreshing to know that you only have one person and they only have you. Something about that commitment thing can be quite enjoyable and make things like checking in before going out, committing free time to take out and Netflix or having someone to tell goodnight every night before you go to sleep is nice. When you’re dating someone things that can be tedious when it comes to others don’t really seem as frustrating all the time with the special person.

SP: Freedom is self-exclamatory when it comes to being a single person. There is no such thing as checking in, you can go wherever you want whenever you please and don’t have to answer to anyone! This can be very liberating as well because you don’t have to answer to anyone and you call the shots! Enough said!

In this day and age, there are a variety of different views about dating and being single. Depending on what point a person is in their life is really the deciding factor on which way of life is the best to live. Dating has a whole new outlook in 2018 and for the most part, dating now is almost blending into the single life. However, when you get onto the dating level of exclusivity it can be just as worth it as well. So with this compiling evidence which one do you think is the lesser of the two evils? You decide!

Hey! The name is Khaiara but people tend to call me Kay or Khai! I am a junior at Old Dominion, Human Service major and dog lover! I am a die hard humanitarian and my goal is to help people the best I can! The world is big and I just want to leave my mark! My hobbies include drawing, painting, and occasional blogging! Before I started writing for HC ODU I ran my own personal blog site http://www.discoveringwoman.com/. I love writing and plan to continue after I graduate. Follow me on social media if ya want @kaymurrlli