books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

ODU Event: Empowering Black Females

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

As a minority in America, Black women are overlooked. On Feb. 5, in the Williamsburg Room, black women were the highlight of the night.

President Broderick set the tone for the night with his concise opening. He stated that the purpose of the event was for the women on the panel to empower black women by sharing “how to advance their personal and professional development and increase their confidence as well as authority.”

The members of the panel included, Yvonne Allmond (Senior VP, Private Banking Towne Bank & Board of Visitors ODU), Tonya Chapman (Chief, Portsmouth Police Department), Calisa Farmer (President, ODU-NABCJ), Dr. L. Patton (City Manager, Portsmouth, VA), Zakiya Ponton-Bey (Sociology/ Criminal Justice Major, ODU), and Dr. Ingrid Whitaker (Associate Professor Department of Sociology & Criminal Justice, ODU and School Board, Portsmouth, VA).

Each panelist was asked to answer 3 questions:

1.     Describe a time/event or person that empowered you.

2.     What do you want to share with the black females?

3.     What would you recommend that will empower black females?

Each member of the panel focused on a different aspect of life. Allmond spoke about the importance of paying close attention to your credit. Having bad credit can be a hindrance in your career. Chapman shared with the audience that nothing comes easy. Your goals can be achieved, but achievements may only come after you face some challenges. Patton encouraged the audience to strive for excellence in everything like she does. She said, “the success you want is within you” so it is important to know yourself and what you want for your life. Farmer reminded the audience that as black women, you can never let your beauty be defined by European standards. Lastly, Whitaker reiterated the purpose of this event with her speech. She urged everyone to not turn their back on others once they’re in a position of power in their careers.

Ponton-Bey, Sociology/Criminal Justice Major at ODU, was the inspiration behind it all. She spoke to the audience about the importance of acknowledging the needs of black female students. Two main things every black female student needs are mentors and resources. Often black women feel as if they have to do it all on their own. Ponton-Bey emphasized that black women need each other.

She said, “one woman can make a difference, but we can rock the world together!”

Ponton-Bey wanted the members of the audience to leave the event feeling inspired and empowered; her peers and black women especially. She saw her vision come to fruition that night.

Taylor Clarke, aspiring lawyer and student at ODU was brought to tears from the moving words from all the members of the panel, especially Patton. Patton’s voice filled the room as she shared her stories with the audience. She spoke with passion and conviction that demanded everyone’s attention. Clarke felt like everything she said was directed at her. She left the event feeling more encouraged and confident about her future in law.

Other members of the audience also expressed their appreciation for the information and stories the panelist shared. As the event ended, many members of the audience stayed to have a 1-on-1 conversation with the panelist. Some even exchanged contact information in hope to connect with one another in the near future.

Empowering Black Females: Building and Sustaining Bridges for Success was sponsored by ODU National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice, Institute for the Study of Race & Ethnicity (ISRE), Department of Sociology & Criminal Justice, Office of the President, and Office of Academic Affairs. The event was organized by Dr. Melvina Sumter.