This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

This is the first installment of Nooks of Norfolk, an article series where I go find places in Norfolk that are not well-known and write about them.

I first heard about M&G Surplus back in 2015, when I was dating my now-ex. He worked there for a long time and boasted about its greatness quite often. I didn’t actually go to the store until two years later, but I can see the greatness. Or rather, the richness.

Since it was founded in 1946, M&G has been one of the best spots for finding any military apparel you can think of, plus many, many other flags, cast iron pans, hats, boots, and the classic Chuck Taylor Converses. It’s filled to the brim with merchandise that dates back to at least World War One. That opening in the wall is the only sales counter!

Everything is made of good quality materials, and it’s not like your average vintage store. Along with its vintage collection, they also have current military uniforms like camo, khakis, sailor outfits, and more.

M&G is an amazing addition to Norfolk because of the massive military culture here. The store has been enjoyed by veterans, their children, and anyone who loves the military. Even if you don’t like wearing combat boots, this is a really cool place to check out; I would highly recommend this Granby Street joint.

My name is Danielle (Danni for short), and I am a transfer student here at ODU! Before I came here I wrote for Her Campus at CNU, and I was studying Computer Engineering of all things! I'm majoring in Graphic Design now, and minoring in Spanish. I also work as a delivery driver at Domino's. Besides writing I also enjoy photography, cooking, and dyeing my hair dark red!