This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

With today’s practice of buying gifts straight from a list of products, it’s easy to forget that there’s more to gifting than just blind consumption. The practice of making, giving and receiving something thoughtful proves as much if not far more rewarding than a product from a list.

Right now, there are numerous videos on social media that provide tutorials on how to make or find a variety of meaningful gifts. These have inspired me to share four of my favorite ideas on gifts with love! 

IF YOU’RE FEELING CREATIVE

Making things yourself can be so fulfilling, especially when you share them with a loved one. The holiday season is the perfect opportunity to hand-paint or paper-mâché a Christmas tree ornament. If you have the resources to knit or crochet, there are plenty of free tutorials and patterns online for things like scarves, leg warmers and sweaters, which are perfect for the winter season. 

If your recipient likes candles, you could make or pour a special one just for them while incorporating things like flowers or seashells. Alternatively, thrift stores typically have plenty of candles as well as wine glasses you could paint for a nice, personal charm while being sustainable by bringing new life to older objects! 

IF YOU’RE KITCHEN SAVVY

For some, there’s nothing better than a little treat. If you like to bake, try finding a recipe for something you can make in bulk like cookies, muffins or another pastry to give out to your loved ones. If baking isn’t for you, making chocolate bark with toppings of choice is an easy, low-effort treat that’s just as delicious. Be sure to be mindful of any allergies your recipient might have. Packaging is a bonus—if you have little boxes, bags or ribbons, each could contribute to an adorably delicious holiday present.

IF YOU’RE FEELING HEARTFELT

A little letter goes a long way. Telling someone how much you mean to them in the form of a handmade card or enveloped letter is one of the most treasured acts of romantic and platonic love. Watercolor, colored pencils or both are perfect for decorating the outside of your card or envelope. In your actual letter, be sure to mention how much your recipient means to you and what you love and appreciate about them. To make this gift a little more special, you can add a small, printed photo of the two of you, stickers, handmade paper confetti, dried flowers, ribbon or whatever else you may have at your disposal.

FOR YOUR BOOKISH LOVED ONES

If your recipient is a reader, there are so many things you could give them that aren’t limited to books on their TBR! Etsy offers affordable book embossers and book stamps that are customizable in order to perfectly suit your reader. You can also use Canva to print a bookmark with a design or photos of your choosing. Once printed, you can adorn the bookmark with lace, ribbons or string to complete the look. If reading is something the two of you share, you could read a book the both of you may like, leaving little thoughts and underlines as you read. Once finished, the book will be filled with tidbits of you and the annotated book will be ready for giving. Your recipient will be able to share the experience of reading with you, thinking of you as they read along.

Although there can be delight in finally getting or giving that one product, you never know what a little bit of effort and love might mean to someone. I encourage anyone reading to do their best in spreading more meaningful joy this holiday season!

Cristina Rodriguez is a second-year student at Old Dominion University. She is the Culture Editor at Her Campus ODU and is currently majoring in English, Technical Writing. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach, scrolling on Pinterest and rereading a good book. She also loves to spend time with her bunny, Cesar.