My Disappointment With Chipotle Queso

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Queso is the holy grail of cheese for many. Its creamy goodness can take your taste buds to nirvana in a matter of seconds. Queso is a trademark of Mexican restaurants across the globe. Even the smaller chains such as Moe’s and Qdoba have been serving queso.

Recently, after years of customers begging, Chipotle added queso to their menu. Since its opening Chipotle has taken the country by storm and I think it’s safe to say most of us love it!

Source: Giphy 

So, it’s natural that the excitement for Chipotle queso was through the roof! The company has long said they wouldn’t ever have queso because it didn’t fit with their brand health guidelines. But, after years of waiting, the major chain finally found a recipe that fit their guidelines and announced Chipotle would be blessing the world with its own queso.

The queso debuted at the chain’s New York restaurant in July and then spread to locations across California and Colorado in August.

So, being the Chipotle and cheese lover that I am, I had to try it! I’m the girl who loves chipotle cheese! Every time I get my burrito bowl the workers stare at me like I’m insane when I instruct them to put an unhealthy amount of cheese into it. I was thrilled that I’d now have queso goodness to put in my bowl and eat with my chips.

Source: QZ

However, to my great disappointment. Chipotle queso is gross! I understand their desire for natural ingredients and healthy foods but their queso isn’t even queso!

While the gritty spice and veggie filled, cheese has a decent flavor and spice to it the texture ruins for me. It reminds me of applesauce, which I hate, so, I may be a little biased here but queso is supposed to be a smooth and savory experience.

Adding the cheese dip to your bowl or burrito may give it an extra kick but it’s not worth the extra $1.25 to me! I’ll be sticking to my mountain of the shredded white cheese that made me fall in love with Chipotle. 

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!