sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Local Halloween Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Source: Giphy

• Haunted Tour of Town

• Many towns and cities will have nighttime tours of streets and cemeteries, talking about the history and the spooky myths surrounding them. There are a few different options, and while Williamsburg and Richmond are most known for their hauntings, Colonial Ghosts will definitely creep you out with the facts and myths of Norfolk streets.

Source: Giphy

• Costume contests

• No matter where you are, there will always be a contest somewhere. Here in Norfolk, the Chrysler Museum is putting on a family-friendly Costume Bash. There will be flashlight tours, scavenger hunts, crafts, and other fun no matter if you are eight or twenty-eight! The program is free and runs from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, but check out the website for details on certain activities that require tickets and when they start. Also, HC ODU is having a costume contest at our movie night on the 27th! Check our Twitter for the details!

Source: Giphy

• Pumpkin picking and Carving

• Okay, so living by the beach can create a few issues when it comes to getting lost in nature and farmland, but that doesn’t mean you can’t pick some pumpkins! Norfolk Farm Market is here to help, and if you go on a weekend you can even squeeze in a free hayride. It’s open on Halloween and you can go find the perfect pumpkin for you.

Source: Giphy

• Haunted Houses

• If there’s one classic thing to do on Halloween, it’s visiting a haunted house. There is plenty of variety in levels of spook for all ages. For full on fright, check out the Spooky Acres haunted house. Not recommended for children, highly recommended for those wanting to be thrilled.

Source: Giphy

• Rocky Horror

• Naro Cinema in downtown Norfolk is known for hosting regular Rocky Horror viewings, but nothing quite as spectacular as their Halloween event. Watch the film, the actors, dress up, and cap off your celebration with a cult classic. There are showings that start at 7:15 pm and 11:30 pm. Even if you’re out of town, head to the city for a theater putting on a production and you’re in for a wild adventure.

Source: Giphy

• Eat out — for cheap!

• There’s no need to cook on Halloween when you could get a $3 burrito from Chipotle, and all you have to do is go in costume! Krispy Kreme will go a step further and give costumed customers a free donut of their choice, including the Halloween themed ones. Baskin and Robbins will only charge $1.31 per ice cream scoop. If you buy anything from Sbarro in costume, you’ll get a free slice of pizza along with it. Do I need to say more or is your stomach grumbling?

Source: Giphy

Hey there,  I'm an outgoing introvert at Old Dominion University. I've lived all across the globe but my hometown is Charlottesville, VA, nestled in the Shanendoah Mountains. Only on an adventure do I feel I can truly connect with the earth. Majoring in Graphic Design, writing for Her Campus, working as a Campus Ambassador, participating as a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority, and being part of the Civic Scholars program, I've got my hands full. When I'm not working or hiking, I'm writing or planning event nights for my friends. I love being outdoors and I spend every moment I can exploring and traveling. I watch a little too much netflix and run an independant literary-arts magazine for emerging authors and artists. Check Sincerely Magazine out and be sure to submit some of your work. I hope you enjoy my rambles because days are simply too short to be bored, Kieran Rundle