This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

On top of being a full-time student majoring in computer science with a double minor in actuarial math and cybersecurity at Old Dominion University, senior Makendra Latrice Crosby started a nonprofit organization right out of her dorm room. Kendra’s Collection is a brand-new nonprofit organization that seeks to serve the Suffolk and Greater Norfolk communities’ unique needs. 

As a regular volunteer at the Monarch Pantry, Crosby noticed a shortage of essential items. This gave her the idea and opportunity to start a non-profit. 

“I saw the bigger picture and realized I could be helping ODU students and other people within Suffolk and Norfolk.” 

All of the donations that Kendra’s Collection receives go right back into the community. The nonprofit works with other organizations such as Monarch Pantry, Monarch Thrift, local public libraries, and women’s shelters to directly benefit members of the community who are in need. 

Currently, Kendra’s Collection accepts a myriad of donations such as feminine products, household items (cleaning supplies, toiletries, laundry detergent), books, clothing, and unopened non-perishable foods. “Every contribution, no matter how small, goes a long way in making a positive impact in the community,” said Crosby. These donations are necessary for the nonprofit to thrive to continue to “promote literacy and educational opportunities for residents of all ages.” Kendra’s Collection also fights food insecurity amongst vulnerable members of the community and college students. 

In addition to collecting supplies for the organization, Kendra’s Collection is also working to spread the word about the nonprofit and gather people to contribute. The organization is currently run by Crosby alone, but there are hopes to start a social media and outreach team as well as expand to the whole 757 community later down the line. 
The main focus of Kendra’s Collection is to provide for the community members in need as well as “to foster a culture of giving, compassion, and community support to enhance the well-being of individuals and families in our region.” If you wish to donate or get in touch with the organization, message Instagram (@_kendrascollection) or email her (makendracrosby100@gmail.com).

Reagan is a staff writer and the new event director at Her Campus ODU. She is double majoring in World Cultural Studies and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. In her free time, Reagan loves to write, read, cook, travel, watch films and style/thrift outfits. She values community and experiences and hopes that it shows through her articles.