ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Introverted Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

I used to cringe when summer unraveled itself into the present. Everyone around me was excited to go to the beach and to parties and music festivals, where everyone’s common interest was skin and getting too close. Trips to Miami and California were planned deep in the belly of winter. Bodies were hardening and becoming more shapely so they could squeeze into what seemed like air more comfortably. Sweat and youth tainted the air, and I hated it. I could never get into what everyone else was into, red solo cups and youthful highs.

Welcome to the life of an introvert.

Source: Giphy

I would rather sit at home and talk about life and what it means to me. Never finding pleasure in all the social diversions that draped summer like a beach towel, I felt like a loser for not feeling like being apart of everyone else’s fun. I felt guilty for saying yes and cancelling at the last minute because I was too afraid of being square by saying no. I had to stop and reflect. It was so easy to deem myself unfun, and figured I’d ought to stay home and be envious of everyone else’s adventures and perfectly placed mistake. Then one day I thought to myself there are things that I would love to do that doesn’t require me to be around tons of people, but I still get that stimulation and that validation that I am doing more than living vicariously through people on a screen, who I don’t want to be.

One summer I decided to do what I wanted to do. I took myself all over the cities surrounding me to quaint and inspiring places that were both fun and whimsical, enough to get this introvert out of her habitual shell. I had the realization that I find different things fun. I’d rather go see a symphony than go to a party. So, if you’re like me finding things that draw your attention as an introvert can be a bit of a struggle. Not because there is nothing to do, but you are ashamed of what you find fun. How can you tell someone you’d rather roam up and down aisles of a library? But here is the kicker..IT IS OKAY! Do not feel bad for finding tranquility in the nooks of used book stores or in the aisles of musty vinyl covers. If museums or libraries, parks or poetry slams, jazz bars or art classes are your thing so be it! Your fun may differ, and that is completely fine. You are not a loser. You are not a square. You are not boring. Do not feel guilty, or feel like you’re ruining the fun and realize that your fun is just as wonderful as everyone else’s.

Source: Giphy

Briel Felton, a junior at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA, is an English major with a double concentration in Creative Writing and Literature. Writing since her teens, she shares intimate experiences and pearls of wisdom collected over the years through narrative and poetry. 
Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!