This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

For many of you who don’t know me, I love to run! I’ve gotten involved with a variety of different races to contribute to charity and help in the community. We hear about a lot of successful runs and races advertised on TV or Facebook like the Breast Cancer run, Color Me Rad, and other favorite 5K races. When I attempted to be ambitious, I decided to do more research and find out about other sports events I can do in the community, and I discovered RAINN.

Source: Giphy

For some of you, like myself, I did not know anything about this organization, what it was for, or that it existed, but RAINN stands for Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network. According to their website, the organization, RAINN has been created and operates a national sexual assault hotline that has partnered with more than 1,000 local sexual assault providers across this country!

Source: Giphy

In April RAINN has sponsored a virtual 5K run that people participate. The cost was my participation in running for this organization and showing my support. In this day and age, the safety of young men and young women are critical because no one’s invincible to sexual assault! By funding and showing support to organizations like RAINN, we helped spread knowledge but also keep the place of salvation running that allows individuals who have been assaulted and don’t know where to go!

Source: Giphy

Even though I could have stayed in bed all day, I found inspiration in me to get up and participate! Overall, you don’t have to show support by just running a 5K, but if you go to their site you can get involved by helping with organizations that RAINN works with like the YWCA of Norfolk Virginia that also helps with assault, domestic violence, and homelessness!

Source: Giphy

When one finishes a workout, they feel accomplished, but it was also an additional boost for me to know that I helped in my community and even made a difference by helping young adults like myself stay informed and have resources to protect themselves!

For more information on sexual assault or to reach Rainn go to the Rainn website for more insight and get involved too!

Hey! The name is Khaiara but people tend to call me Kay or Khai! I am a junior at Old Dominion, Human Service major and dog lover! I am a die hard humanitarian and my goal is to help people the best I can! The world is big and I just want to leave my mark! My hobbies include drawing, painting, and occasional blogging! Before I started writing for HC ODU I ran my own personal blog site http://www.discoveringwoman.com/. I love writing and plan to continue after I graduate. Follow me on social media if ya want @kaymurrlli