jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How a Smart Watch Made Me Want to Get My Life Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Up until last summer, fitness was never my thing. Don’t get me wrong, I went for the occasional walk, but hardcore exercise just wasn’t for me. I didn’t really have time for it, and I just wasn’t particularly interested in it. I’m a commuter student, so the gym on campus wasn’t the most practical option and local gyms cost money I didn’t have. (And going to the gym alone would’ve been pretty boring; I’ve done it before, and it’s just not for me.)

And then I got my paycheck last summer for my work from the Mace & Crown, and I decided I’d buy a smartwatch with the money. It took almost my whole paycheck, but it was worth it!

I’m not much of a watch kind of girl either, but the smartwatches felt like they would be up my alley. Probably my favorite aspect of it is that it lets me check notifications without having to take my phone out of my pocket or bag. It’s nice because if it’s just a random email or something not super important, I don’t have to check it immediately.

Source: Pexels

The smartwatch has given me a reason to keep track of my health too. I’ve been able to keep track of the meals I’ve eaten and the calories I’ve taken in on a particular day. It keeps track of how many hours of sleep I’ve gotten in a night (which is less than 8 hours most nights). It keeps track of how many steps I’ve taken in a day, though it’s a little touchy because it doesn’t always track them if I’m pushing a cart around a grocery store, for example. It even keeps track of the floors I’ve gone up, which is usually one to three at most, because my lazy butt doesn’t want to walk up five flights of stairs in the parking garage to get to my car on the days where I have to park on the fifth floor after a long day of classes. The only downside is I actually have to remember to input the data for how much sleep I’ve gotten or the meals I’ve eaten, and I don’t usually remember to do that. Step data and how many flights of stairs I’ve gone up are automatically updated.

It does so much for me, and I’m so glad I bought the watch. I definitely recommend getting one if you haven’t already. Three options you have are Fitbits, Apple Watches and Samsung GearFits. I recommend doing your research before buying one to make sure the watch you get will work with your phone. I almost bought a Fitbit before I realized it would have issues connecting with my phone because of the phone I have, so I ended up getting the Samsung GearFit 2. It had all the features of the Fitbit that I wanted and then some. Each watch has different features, so you can choose the one that best fits you and what you want out of it.

Audra is a senior studying English with a concentration in journalism and double minoring in international studies and communications. In addition to her work with Her Campus, she also writes for ODU's newspaper, the Mace and Crown, and she's a brother of Phi Sigma Pi. When Audra isn't writing for Her Campus or the Mace and Crown, she's playing video games, reading a book or sleeping. Her favorite animal is a cat, and she really enjoys cat videos.