free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Rock the Socks off an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Source: Giphy

Dress For the Job

If you’re interviewing for a camp counselor position, don’t wear four-inch heels. If you’re interviewing for an office position, make sure you fit their dress code. Be professional and put together. You don’t have to get a hairdo or a full face of makeup, just clearly show effort and how you would look at a day of work.

Source: Giphy 

Practice Questions

Look up questions that people in the field often ask in interviews. If you know someone with a similar job, ask them about their interview. Go over what makes you a good candidate and a good leader. You do not want to sound rehearsed in your interview, but being prepared can really boost your confidence in the interview, and their confidence in you.

Source: Giphy

Bring Your Resume

While they may have a copy of your CV or Resume, it never hurts to bring a copy along with you. That way, if they ask for it, you can give it to them.

Source: Giphy

Be Honest

Taking AP Spanish in high school does not make you fluent. Having Excel on your computer does not make you a pro. Do not lie or oversell certain skills. Be honest about where you stand and your willingness to learn for the job. If you get a job based on something you cannot do at all or as well as you said, you’ll find yourself falling through the cracks to actually succeed at work. The best solution is to be positive about your skills, without exaggerating.

Source: Giphy 

Take Your Time Answering

If you’re struggling to answer a question, pause. Breathe. You can admit that you’re thinking about the best way to phrase the answer. This will save you from saying something in a rush that you could have used a better example or worded better.

Source: Giphy 

Be Early, Not on Time

While showing up half an hour before your interview time would be a little awkward for everyone, ten minutes is a good buffer time. It shows that you are eager for the position and excited about the work. It shows your commitment and that you are reliable with time.

Hey there,  I'm an outgoing introvert at Old Dominion University. I've lived all across the globe but my hometown is Charlottesville, VA, nestled in the Shanendoah Mountains. Only on an adventure do I feel I can truly connect with the earth. Majoring in Graphic Design, writing for Her Campus, working as a Campus Ambassador, participating as a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority, and being part of the Civic Scholars program, I've got my hands full. When I'm not working or hiking, I'm writing or planning event nights for my friends. I love being outdoors and I spend every moment I can exploring and traveling. I watch a little too much netflix and run an independant literary-arts magazine for emerging authors and artists. Check Sincerely Magazine out and be sure to submit some of your work. I hope you enjoy my rambles because days are simply too short to be bored, Kieran Rundle