Hacking Your Health with the Hot Girl Walk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

The Hot Girl Walk, or #HGW, is one of the many, many health and fitness phenomenons that has overtaken the world of TikTok and Instagram Reels in the past two years. Originally, the trend started in 2021 courtesy of TikTok user @exactlyliketheothergirls, aka Mia, but has exploded to have millions of participants. 

The basis of the routine: simply pull yourself out of bed or away from your desk and take yourself on a walk. Sounds easy? That’s because it is! In Mia’s original video, she suggested the walk being around four miles and taking around an hour, but it’s all about what you’re comfortable doing. Another “rule” that Mia shared for the #HGW is, “that you’re only allowed to think about three things: what you’re grateful for, your goals and how you’re going to achieve them.” During this time of reflection and gratitude, you can also turn on your favorite podcast or playlist to help keep you moving. 

Getting up and moving at least once during the day has shown to have numerous health benefits. According to the Mayo Clinic, walking can help reduce stress and tension, improve your immune system and improve your mood, cognition, memory and sleep! 

Recently, as warm weather continues to become more frequent, I have decided to test out this trend for myself and see whether or not it really works. Over the past two weeks, I have attempted to get out and go for a walk at least five days out of the week. Some of the walks have been longer than others, but I try to get out for at least 30 minutes at a time. My personal preference is to always do a HGW outside, not just because of the additional benefits of fresh air and sunshine, but also because it’s nice to get out and smell the roses. 

If you don’t live in an area where you feel safe or comfortable going on a Hot Girl Walk outside, no worries! This is perfectly doable from the comfort of a gym. 

During my walks, I try to keep my phone on do not disturb so I can truly focus on myself and how I’m feeling. Normally, I enjoy listening to a podcast (my current podcast recommendations are Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain and Fun on Weekdays with Jenna Palek), or even just walk in silence to listen to all the things going on around me. 

Sometimes, I have noticed that I do get bored on these walks, but more times than not, it’s been a good way to get out and clear my head during the day. I haven’t noticed any physical differences since starting my HGW journey, but ultimately, I started going on these walks for the mental health benefits, and not to see any physical results. However, I’m sure that if I continue doing these walks consistently throughout the summertime, I’d be sure to notice an increase in strength! 

Having a set time during the day to be outside and make time for your mental and physical health can help promote productivity and happiness in all aspects of your life!  

Hi Everyone! My name is Carly Herbert, I'm the Senior Editor here at HerCampus ODU! I'm originally from Northern VA, but I'm a huge fan of traveling and don't like to stay in one place for too long. I'm majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Marketing. A few fun facts about me: an avid coffee drinker, I love the outdoors, and I'm a cat person!