Follow Your Heart, Even If It Leads You To A Different School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

You’ve applied to your dream schools, and after some tense waiting, you’ve received what you hope are your acceptance letters. But instead of your dreams coming true, they’re all rejection letters.

Source: Giphy

Because you’re not a quitter, you decide to go to a different school to try and raise your grades so that maybe your dream school will accept you if you decide to transfer. Assuming you did transfer, you’d have to adjust to a whole new environment.

Say you decided to go to a community college for two years and picked up an associate’s degree. On one hand, you lucked out because you paid less for your gen ed courses. And let’s be real, saving some money on college courses is always a plus. On the other hand, you’re going to a school with little to no student life. Most of the time, you’ll probably be going from class to class, spending hours in the library, and eating.

Or maybe you decided to go to a school that wasn’t one of your top picks. You spend a year or so there working to get your grades up with the hopes that you’ll be able to transfer into one of your dream schools. There’s student life at your school, and maybe you’re making friends, but you’re still not happy.

So then you finally transfer, and you’re at the school of your dreams.

Source: Giphy

You have to do everything all over again now. You have to learn your way around a new campus. You have to meet new people. You have to find the best places to eat and go on the weekends. You’ve thrown yourself into a whole new environment.

Some things will come as time passes. It probably won’t take you long to figure out where your classes are or the quickest route from class to class. If you live on campus, it won’t take long to figure out just how late you can sleep in before you have to get up and rush out the door to your 8 a.m. If you commute, you’ll probably be looking for the quickest route to campus and the best place to park so you can get to class on time and don’t have to walk a mile.

You’ll probably meet people in your classes. If you join any student organizations, you’ll find friends that way too. These people will probably be able to tell you what the best places to eat are or where you can go on the weekends to have some fun.

Basically, transferring schools is like getting a fresh start, except you’ve got some classes under your belt.

Just remember that transferring isn’t a bad thing. If you’re not happy at a school, you shouldn’t feel compelled to stay there for your whole college career. Do what makes you happy, and if that means transferring schools, then so be it.

Source: Giphy

Audra is a senior studying English with a concentration in journalism and double minoring in international studies and communications. In addition to her work with Her Campus, she also writes for ODU's newspaper, the Mace and Crown, and she's a brother of Phi Sigma Pi. When Audra isn't writing for Her Campus or the Mace and Crown, she's playing video games, reading a book or sleeping. Her favorite animal is a cat, and she really enjoys cat videos.
Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!