Style

Fashion Trends: City to City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

One of the coolest things about fashion is the way it changes from person to person. A person’s style preference is an art, a way of expression. However, where we live will have a strong influence on what we wear. Everything from the weather, average amounts of walking and income, for example will affect what we wear. This is why fashion trends will change from city to city. So as spring weather approaches, let’s discuss how trends differ based on where in the world you are.  

New York City 

Fit Bit rated New York the most active city in the United States. The average New Yorker will walk 10,000 steps a day, which equates to three/four miles, despite the weather conditions. With that being said, New Yorkers tend to lean towards relaxed street style and chunky shoes made for walking! New York also sees a lot of snow in an average winter, making long and thick layers a necessity for those long walks. Big trench coats with bold colored or patterned bootcut pants is a huge trend in the streets of Manhattan along with mix and match prints. With the cold weather, scarves and gloves are a crucial winter accessory for New Yorkers. 

Las Angeles

Although LA is not considered one of the traditional fashion capitals of the world, a lot of influencers reside here making LA a very significant city. Even in the winter, LA will rarely see temperatures below 50, still reaching nearly 70 degrees in prime day light. With that being said, this weather encourages crisp neutrals that seem to sweep over LA. Hiking and exercising are popular activities in LA so you will find a lot of biker shorts and higher end gym styles. Cropped vests over a cropped short sleeve with baggy jeans seems to be an average day to day look for LA locals. Boots with denim shorts also seem to be a staple for those in the streets of LA. Another crucial component to be noted in LA fashion is the color coordination. While many cities tend to mix bold colors and prints, Californians tend to coordinate matching colors for a much more classic, chic and harmonized look!

London

Spring time is rainy in London, making oversized raincoats and trench coats an essential for London locals. London fashion week has a lot of velvet and fringe in deep dark colors like amethyst, jade and ruby. Lace layering is also seen a lot on the runway. Leather biker jackets are a hit in the streets of London as we transition from winter to spring. The iconic shoe, Doc Martens, are headquartered in the UK making the chunky shoes a staple throughout Europe!

Milan

During Milan’s fashion week, locals saw a lot of dresses with either long trains or a high/low cutout. This trend was very popular in the 2012-2015 era but it seems to be making a comeback! The runway had a lot of sheer and transparent clothing as well. With low rise and see through clothing on the runway, Milan has fashion trends involving a mix between chic and provocative clothing hitting the streets. Milan is known for having a century-old sartorial legacy. Giorgio Armoni says Milan is where he feels at home, making his brand a staple for many in Milan. The streets of Milan have a much more upscale and feminine vibe compared to other major cities of the world.   

Fashion trends are changing almost weekly around the world. We see trends, such as the popular Y2K trend, take over the world in one swoop. However, each city may execute these trends differently due to weather, diversity in culture, average income and so much more. Each city also tends to put their own twist on each style, eventually opening the door to more and more trends. Every city has its own reasoning for its fashion and style preferences, so it’s interesting to see how trends vary around the world. 

I am a senior at ODU majoring in Political Science with a minor in Marketing & Communications. My interests include fashion, discovering new clean skincare and makeup, shopping, and working out. I love to read and write which is why I am so excited to see my passion for fashion, politics, and everything else in between, mix with my love for writing!