Fall Activities in Hampton Roads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Who doesn’t love fall? After what feels like an eternity of the world being put on hold, it is finally time to get back to the activities that make fall amazing. Check out this list of fun autumn activities perfect for anyone who loves this time of year.

Fun in the Chill

Do you like to be active but are worried about finding things to do in the chilly weather? We’ve got the perfect list of activities that won’t freeze your fingers or your bank account.

• FIRST LANDING STATE PARK:
    • First Landing State Park offers a wide range of activities for every season. With admission being only $4 per vehicle on weekdays and $5 on the weekends, your wallet will thank you. Go for the day and enjoy a picnic or a nice hike through one of the trails that go along the park’s swamp, salt marsh, maritime forests or bay shoreline. You can also rent bikes to use on the trails. Want to stay overnight? No problem! There are more than 200 campsites in the park or you can pick from one of the 20 cabins to rent for however many nights you want. Whatever activities you choose to explore, you’ll be surrounded by beautiful scenery no matter what. First Landing State Park is a perfect fall outdoor destination. Discover more at first-landing-state-park.org
  • THE ADVENTURE PARK:
    • Come visit Virginia’s largest and most exciting adventure park! Have fun experiencing the joy of climbing and zip lining high into the trees and feel the rush of accomplishment as you conquer a variety of adventure challenges. A little bit on the pricey side at $63 for general admission, but bring a group to save some money.  This place is worth it. Who wouldn’t want to climb high into the treetops? Book online at myadventurepark.com
  • WICKED 10K:
    • Are you a runner? If yes, then this is the perfect Halloween themed running event for you! Offering a range of different races including a 10K, Monster Mile, Mini Monster 1K and Pumpkin Smash Challenge (10K and one mile), feel free to dress up and get your sweat on. If you’re interested, hurry! This event will be held on October 29-30, 2021. Go to wicked10k.com for more details on registration and prices.
  • NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS:
    • Looking for a place to do an easy stroll or bike ride in some beautiful scenery? Look no further than the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, Virginia’s largest botanical garden! Enjoy 175 acres where miles of both paved and unpaved paths lie to explore, as well as a wide range of beautiful gardens of roses, camellias, crepe myrtles and many more. There is even a Butterfly House and a three acre children’s garden. Don’t feel like walking? Take a tram ride around the whole park for free! The gardens also encourage picnics and photography, as it is a prime location for any photography needs. Check out the events being hosted and ticket prices at norfolkbotanicalgarden.org
  • THE GREAT DISMAL SWAMP:
    • Located in southeastern Virginia and North Carolina lies the Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. It currently covers 112,000 acres of environmentally and biologically important land, full of a vast variety of plants and wildlife. Visitors can explore through hiking, hunting, biking, boating, fishing and even a driving or guided tour, a great place for leisure or more involved activities. At just $5 per vehicle to park, it won’t even break the bank. Visit https://www.fws.gov/refuge/great_dismal_swamp/ for more details. 

Not Active? Not a Problem!

What about activities that aren’t about being active?  You didn’t stump us! 

• SUGAR & GRACE CO.:
    • What better way to embrace that special fall feeling than by making your own fall scented candle? Sugar & Grace Co. Candle and Floral Workshops in Norfolk offers a variety of classes to learn how to create the perfect candle. Some special workshop events include Happy Hour Candle Making, Couples and Candles, Perfume Making, Mom’s Day Out and many more. Book your workshop at www.sugarandgrace.co.
  • VIRGINIA ZOO:
    • The zoo is always a fun sunny day activity, and the fall weather makes it even better! Take some friends or a date and enjoy seeing the different animals the Virginia Zoo has to offer. And in November, a “Zoolumination” event will be going on where you can see awesome inflatable animal sculptures on foot during the day or by car at night. Check out virginiazoo.org for more information.
  • DOWNTOWN NORFOLK AND NORFOLK’S WATERSIDE DISTRICT:
    • If you are looking for an outing, but you’re not sure what you want to do, downtown Norfolk has restaurants of all price points, brunch places, bars/clubs, nightlife events, shopping and more. If you’re looking for a more boujee vibe, head to Norfolk’s Waterside District for upscale restaurants and great views!

Keeping it Traditional

Want to experience that special feeling that fall brings, in a traditional way?  Check out these farms that are sure to be Instagram worthy!

• CULLIPHER FARM:
    • Since 1850, Cullipher Farm in Virginia Beach has been providing some of the best outdoor farm activities perfect for every season – but fall has to be their best. Enjoy visiting the pumpkin patch, farmers market, apple and grape orchards, sunflower field to pick out your own treats to bring home, or have some fun in their corn maze. Find out more about tickets and hours at https://cullipherfarm.com.
  • BERGEY’S BREADBASKET:
    • A classic fall activity that is a local favorite is a trip to Bergey’s Breadbasket. They have a petting zoo for their adorable farm animals, a corn maze, fresh seasonal produce, a deli for lunch and homemade ice cream and bakery items. Discover more at bergeysbreadbasket.com.

For the Thrill of It

Finally on our list, do you enjoy being scared?  Well, look no further into Hampton Roads’ best places for thrill seekers. 

• BUSCH GARDENS WILLIAMSBURG HOWL-O-SCREAM:
    • Only about an hour north of Norfolk is Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, the world’s most beautiful theme park. If you enjoy thrilling rides, great food and entertaining shows, this is the place for you! Want to experience the joy of scares for Halloween? Think you’re brave enough to handle it? Then come visit during the evening for Howl-O-Scream, where all scary things that bring thrills and chills come to life. This year the park is offering five haunted houses, four terror-tories, four sinister shows and two party zones for horrors to await their victims. For more information on tickets and prices, visit buschgardens.com/Williamsburg, if you dare…
  • HUNT CLUB FARM:
    • Hunt Club farm is the epitome of fall fun, with activities for the family or for those who want some Halloween thrill. Enjoy an adorable petting farm, bird walk aviary, tree walk adventure, the Harvest Fair, the fall market, or the most popular event of the season, Haunted Hunt Club Farm. Face your fears and enter any of the four haunted walks or the infamous haunted hayride, where scares and terrors await you at every turn. Hurry and get your tickets at hauntedhuntclubfarm.com.
  • GREENBRIER FARMS:
    • Greenbrier Farms is great for a good scare. A walk through an asylum, a corn maze and dark bamboo forests will leave you breathless. Bonus: there are chainsaws involved! Get a group of six or more for a slightly discounted price to visit one of the highest rated haunts in Virginia. Tickets are available at www.historicgreenbrierfarms.com.

Have a Fun Filled Fall in Hampton Roads!

I'm an Old Dominion University student majoring in English/Journalism. I am passionate about fashion, beauty, volunteering, and promoting positivity!