This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Let’s see your best bold red lip combo with your biggest fur jacket! Yep, “minimal” makeup, natural shades and tidy, slicked back hair are out in 2024. We are bringing back fierce, dark shades, letting our curls down and smoking our eyeshadows. Jewelry, jackets and makeup are all about to get a “mob wife” makeover.

What is a “Mob Wife” Aesthetic?

Another generationally recycled trend coming back from the ‘70s and ‘80s, “mob wife” is meant to bring out your dark, feminine side. Staples of the genre include black leather coats, black oversized fur coats, gold jewelry and pointy black heels, combined with deep, rich, seductive perfumes and luxury handbags meant to catch an eye from 10 yards out.

Where did this trend come from?

2024 marks the 25th year anniversary of the American crime-drama, “The Sopranos,” which follows a young Italian American as he navigates life while leading the Italian mafia. The HBO series debuting in 1999 has its iconic fashion moments we will be exploring later.

Adding on, the timing of winter makes it perfect to bring out new styles, patterns and fabrics to keep warm.

Style Icon: Adriana de la Cerva

“The Sopranos’” Adriana de la Cerva is our style icon for this aesthetic. As a young girl raised around the mafia, her iconic looks feature an edgy, yet feminine style that is unmatched. 

One of her looks include a head-to-toe leopard print two-set embellished with gold buttons along the mid-section and waist. Big, blonde messy hair and a red lip combo helps her pull off even the most exaggerated look!

Also, although this style is more known for leopard and cheetah print, the genre includes all sorts of animal prints. Zebra print does not seem to be as popular these days, but another one of her looks rocks it with a zebra top paired with subtle nude lip-gloss and a dark smokey eye!

Although some prefer a classy French tip, de la Cerva shows off her long nails, in shades of red, wine, cherry, navy or black. Her hair is always teased, full with loose, messy curls. Accessorized with her gold jewelry like rings, bracelets, layered necklaces and her staple oversized hoops, she makes every look unique and fresh!

Check out all of the looks described at Nylon!

How do I style it?

Nails, hair, jackets and jewelry all come together to create a concise look. 

Nails

Next time you get your nails done, ask for a French tip, extra long! Or, if you’re feeling a bolder color, our favorite shades are wine, cherry red, maroon, purple and black.

Eyeshadow

Wear subdued shades, for a more powerful, mature look. Smokey eyes, browns, blacks and dark maroons on the eyes, and a sprinkle of glitter for a feminine touch! A smoked black liner, plus black waterline will bring out your eyes and balance your makeup with your heavy outfit.

Lips

Classy, mature lipsticks are a great balance to heavier glam. Pair it with an oversized black fur coat!

blush

A dark red blush will complete the look.

Let’s get into the outfits now!

Here are some amazing fur coats to wear on your night outs. 

Perfect for pairing with an elegant, long bodycon gown.

For every day.

Shoes

This style uses tall, classic black pumps with a little strap to complete the look. Alternatively, try a nude or red shade to pair fabulously with a bold, red gown and leopard fur coat!

Bags

Any bold-shaded leather bag is a perfect example of the rich, classy nature of the “mob wife” aesthetic. A structured design is the perfect choice, so no shoulder bags and no pouches. This Coach bag will be the perfect match for your night out, pair it with a simple gold accessory.

COACH® Outlet | Ellie File Bag (coachoutlet.com)

Accessories

Every look needs gold accessories! Try stacked chains for layering multiple necklaces or try a pendant. Gold hoops are a must. Pair it with gold rings or a bracelet/bangle similar to Cartier. 

As a Trend

According to CNN, the trend is meant to last roughly six months. With the decline in fur lasting a span of more than a decade, and the phasing out by major fashion houses from the likes of Prada, consumer’s general sentiments remain the same: animal derivatives are out. Sustainability and environmental protection include protecting animals from the fashion industry, and this is a wider, longer-lasting sentiment. Rather than short lived trends, such as “clean girl,” sustainability is a lifestyle and a value more and more consumers are willing to sacrifice for.

So what does this mean for “Mob Wife?”

While the trend cycles are shortening and changing every single week, fur never quite seems to go out of fashion. Luckily, there are vegan, cruelty free options to bring back our fashion favorites into the new generation of environment-sustaining fashion.

BioFluff grows its fur from protein-derivatives, like brewing beer. This safe, acceptable, alternative to animal fur is expected to make a huge impact on fashion industries in the future.

And finally, there’s always vintage.