bumble date?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bumble date?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
her campus media / bumble

Bumble: A Twist on Social Connections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Today, new methods of connections are flourishing throughout our generation and society. Sometimes you’ll meet your new best friend at your local coffee shop, or maybe you’ll meet your forever partner on your yearly winter skiing trip. Needless to say, the possibilities are endless!

There are some cases, however, where you may want a little extra help with your social connections – and that’s where apps come in handy. Tinder, LinkedIn, Indeed and Friended are all extremely popular and reliable to find jobs, make friends and find relationships. Now don’t get me wrong, even I have used a few of these amazing apps. But what if I told you that all three of these connections could be combined into just one app? Sounds amazing, doesn’t it? 

Come join the hive! Bumble is a social networking company that allows everyone to formulate connections in all areas of their life through Bumble Date, Bumble BFF and Bumble Bizz. Bumble has a community of over 100 million people across six continents with 1.5 billion first moves. With a new updated model system that subverted the usual gender norm of men making the first approach, Whitney Wolfe, founder and CEO of Bumble, only allows women to make the first move on Bumble Date and Bumble Bizz. This empowerment of women boosts their confidence and creativity as they step out of their comfort zone and change the outdated gender dynamics of romance. #girlpower! 

Now that you know what Bumble is, you may want some more information on the three connection opportunities within the app. On Bumble Date and BFF, users are offered an easy, accessible and interchangeable profile page that caters to everyone. With options to provide your race, gender identity, religion, political preference, zodiac sign and more. Bumble allows you to successfully personalize your profile to your liking. In addition, you may also answer unique writing prompts to bring more engagement to your profile. A few prompt questions include your ideal BFF date, what would you do if you had three wishes and something you’re obsessed with. After your profile is complete, you can start swiping! The process, that applies to both Bumble Date and BFF, is quick and easy. Swipe left if you’re not interested and swipe right if you are! If you match with someone, you get up to twenty-four hours to wait for a text if you’re a male, or text your lucky match if you’re a female. 

On Bumble Bizz, you have the opportunity to expand your professional network by importing your education level, industry interest, personal biographies and even a large variety of employment whether you’re searching for a business connection or hiring someone. These employment opportunities range from investment/investors to freelancing to a full-time job. On Bumble Bizz, employers have the opportunity to reach out to you and vice versa! Find your next career on the Bizz!

Along with Bumble’s distinct and inventive content, there is also a powerful movement behind every first move made. Bumble encourages integrity, kindness, equality, confidence and respect during all stages of any relationship. Do you want to join an organization where people learn how to establish and maintain healthier connections? Then Bumble is the place for you!

In order to spread these values throughout people of all ages and communities, Bumble has established a college organization known as Bumble Honey. Anyone at any university can apply for this paid ambassador position. The mission of Bumble Honeys is to embody Bumble and assist in spreading their movement! Honeys have the opportunity to build their resume, be challenged professionally, have leadership positions, learn networking strategies, host Bumble themed events and, most importantly, have fun! As a former and current Honey, the amount of personal and professional growth I have obtained from this position is extreme. Each Honey is given three tasks, based on your position, to complete each month of the semester. These roles can range from a Campus Lead, who is in charge of the entire campus Honey group to the Content Manager, who manages all of the online socials and creates a social engagement with other students on campus! The Honey community is so positive and powerful as each and every Bumble Honey grows out of their comfort zone and builds their confidence. Are you a college student interested in becoming an influencer, trendsetter, or role model? Then the Bumble Honey program is the perfect position for you!

With Bumble introducing a new, creative and innovative twist within the dating and connection world, we can build a supportive institution filled with healthy relationships, meaningful connections and authentic profiles to express our personalities and professions! Meet your new workout buddy, gain your new internship profession, or even plan your next wedding with the hive!

Hello everyone! I am a junior and the Editor-In-Chief for HerCampus at Old Dominion University. I’m a journalism major and psychology minor. I have a passion for health/wellness, mental health, and lifestyle. Whenever I am not writing you can find me practicing my violin or fueling my Starbucks addiction.