Culture > News

Boycotting Businesses: Palestine vs Israel

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

You’ve probably been inundated with a lot of information surrounding the crisis that is currently occurring in Palestine at the hands of Israel, with the help of military power from the U.K. and U.S. You’re being told that all of a sudden you have to start boycotting all of your favourite companies without any understanding of why, and in addition to this, there is so much conflicting information that you don’t even know what to believe. This article intends to break everything down, ease your confusion and hopefully give you a better understanding of what you should do to help and why. 

The BDS is the ‘Boycott, Divestments and Sanctions movement’ which is working to end international support for Israel’s oppression of Palestinians and get them to comply with international law. Established in 2005, this reputable movement has had a huge hand in challenging international support for Israel, and has been a huge contributor to the educating of people on the gravity of the crisis in Palestine. They have been successful in getting Ben & Jerry’s, famous ice cream brand, and French telecom company Orange to stop selling in occupied Palestinian territory. 

Boycotting certain companies is a helpful way to show support for Palestine. This is because donations and provisions are unable to reach the country as a result of blockades from Israel. News outlets are spreading propaganda and civilians have to rely on updates via social media to really understand the severity of what is happening in Gaza. Companies like HP, Puma and Carrefour have been proven to be complicit in Israeli apartheid. Buying from these companies puts money in the pockets of the same people that will pour it back into support for Israel’s crimes against humanity. 

Companies like McDonald’s, Papa Johns and Burger King are being boycotted for offering free food to Israeli soldiers, which is not only outwardly showing support for the rebels, but is a kick in the teeth considering that Israel is withholding basic necessities including food and water from Palestinian civilians – including children. Videos have surfaced of Israeli soldiers mocking those without access to food, while they have an abundance of it. 

Starbucks, one of the most popular companies that is being boycotted, is under fire for suing its labour union because a social media account from the union posted support for Palestinians. 

It may seem like the end of the world because now you can’t get a six-piece nugget meal, or you can no longer get your venti caramel macchiato, but think of the bigger picture. Your donations are unreachable, and it is not safe to enter the country. Raising awareness alone is not enough because the monopoly of power is in the hands of those who are supporting Israel. Boycotting stops putting money in the hands of those who have directly and indirectly condemned the support of Palestine, a country that is looking genocide in the eyes – and will use that money to fund Israel. Independent coffee shops are not only more sustainable, but are better quality and in most cases, cheaper. McDonald’s isn’t even that good. 

The Montgomery bus boycott in the 1950s lasted 13 months and the company lost over a million dollars, which is today’s equivalent of more than $12 million. Continuing to fight for what is right and not giving up, will reap benefits for the future. Both Israel and Western powers are no longer trying to hide the war crimes they are committing whilst simultaneously feeding us propaganda. Being so fiercely gaslit while we can see exactly what is going on is a testament to how helpless we are, so help where you can. 

To be more informed, make sure you check out https://bdsmovement.net/what-is-bds for a more detailed understanding of what exactly is going on. 

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. 

I am currently a junior at ODU majoring in Journalism. I love to read and I actually have a Booktok called @kesiahreadit where I review books and suggest books too! I enjoy writing and I also have a blog called Opinionate on wixsite where I write about anything I feel calls to me! This is my first year as part of HerCampus.