This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Black History Month has come to end but Black history continues to be made everyday. 

Black culture has been a big influence on the fashion industry, but getting the opportunity to join the business as a designer or model has been a challenge. Black fashion designers have worked hard to change the status quo and make a name for themselves. 

Many of these designers have recently become big names or have been in the industry for years. They have spent years creating their aesthetic and have debuted them during fashion weeks, celebrity red carpets and their own runway shows. They continue to pave the way for aspiring young black designers.

Here’s a list some of the best and brightest black designers:

LaQuan Smith

LaQuan Smith is a luxury fashion designer who has started his own womenswear company. He has become very influential in celebrity fashion and is known as the go-to guy for celebrity appearances. LaQuan has dressed celebrities such as Beyonce, Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, Gina Rodriguez and many more. He started from a young age building his brand and now is recognized internationally for his distinctive garments. 

Mowalola Ogunlesi

Mowalola Ogunlesi is a Nigerian-British designer that is known for working with unconventional textiles such as PVC pipe and leather. She has her own brand and works for celebrities such as Drake, Meghan Thee Stallion, Naomi Campbell, Solange and Kim Kardashian. Mowalola is now the design director for Yeezy’s collaboration with Gap.

Stella Jean

Stella Jean is Italy’s first black fashion designer and is considered to be the protégé of Giorgio Armani. Her collections are a combination of her Italian and Haitian heritage. After winning Vogue Italia’s talent contest, her first collection was showcased at Giorgio Armani’s Spring/Summer show in 2014. Her label is now based in Rome and has helped create the “ We are made in Italy” digital showcase for Black Italian designers.

Fe Noel

Fe Noel is a Grenadian fashion designer who became involved with fashion at a young age. Coming from a family of entrepreneurs, she began her fashion career at 19 by opening her first boutique. Since then she has created her own brand and dressed celebrities such as Michelle Obama, Beyonce and Gabrielle Union. She has also collaborated with Lebron James and Nike. Noel continues to make her name, her story, and her brand known around the world starting at New York fashion week.

Sergio Hudson

Sergio Hudson, a South Carolina native knew at a young age that fashion was his destiny. He got his start on Bravo TV’s “Styled to Rock” show and worked with Miley Cyrus, Pharrell Williams and Kelly Osbourne. Today he is known for making amazing suits, skirt sets and dresses. One of his outfits was recently worn by Michelle Obama and Vice President Kamala Harris at the 2021 Inauguration.

This list is just a few of the black designers creating change and making history in the fashion industry.They took a chance by getting into an industry that was not inclusive and fought through the unequal treatment. We should appreciate Black designers because they have pushed boundaries farther than anyone else. And they continue to be a driving force in black history and fashion history.

Hello! My name is Cierra and I am a sophomore at ODU. I enjoy reading , drawing, and spending time with family and friends.
Hi there! I'm Maura Olson the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at ODU. I am majoring in Journalism and minoring in Communications. I love writing, photography and participating in my extracurriculars.