Best Music Festivals of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

It’s that time of year, Monarchs! Music festival announcements seemingly never stop during the winter months, leading to dreams of warmer days with good music and good food. On a college student budget, it’s always hard to choose just one festival to attend, so I’m here to help you find out which festival fits your wants and needs best.

Here’s a list of the best festivals the East coast has to offer this summer:

(Via GIPHY)

5. Broccoli City Festival

(Via GIPHY)

A DC favorite, Broccoli City takes place April 28. For anyone in the DMV area, this day-long festival is a must. Acts include Migos, Miguel, Cardi B, Daniel Caesar and H.E.R. A stacked lineup, with a weekend full of fun before the show is a must for any festival-goer this summer.

BC holds a 5K run, and a conference that weekend to urge participants to be active in their community and to enjoy each other as people. Their goal is to draw attention towards Earth Day and to inspire people to be active members of their society.

You can find your tickets to BC here.

4. Boston Calling

(Via GIPHY)

In the heart of MA comes Boston Calling. Memorial Day Weekend plans have already been made, so go ahead and buy your plane ticket to Boston, it’s gonna be a good one.

The Killers, Eminem and Jack White are set to headline Boston Calling. Yes, you read that correctly, Jack White is back. His new album is expected to drop March 23, just in time for his festival appearances this summer. Other big names include Paramore, St. Vincent, Portugal. The Man and Tyler, The Creator.

Boston Calling has always brought a strong lineup but is always seemingly overshadowed by bigger named festivals. This year, though, it seems like they have really stepped their game up. Buy your passes now, because they are sure to sell out.

You can buy passes to Boston Calling here.

3. Shaky Knees Music Festival

(Via GIPHY)

Taking place May 4-6 in Atlanta, GA, Shaky Knees has a stacked lineup filled with your favorite alternative names. The National, Jack White and Queens of the Stone Age are your headliners. Though the festival also features, Courtney Barnett, Fleet Foxes, Matt and Kim and The War On Drugs.

The festival also typically announces a slew of late night performances, where tickets are sold separately, so keep an eye out for those.

Lots of big names appear in this lineup and each day is sure to be stacked full of fun music and good food.

You can buy your passes to Shaky Knees here.

2. Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival

(Via GIPHY)

Bonnaroo, 2007 called, it wants it’s lineup back. Headliners here include The Killers, Muse and Eminem. Roo also managed to score Paramore, Alt-J, Future and the man himself, Bon Iver (for two sets!). The Farm has brought some of everything, rock, dance and rap, making the entire experience a pretty diverse one for a festival-goer.

As a Bonnaroo alum, I’m partial to The Farm, and with its care-free attitude, good vibes mentality and those Amish doughnuts, Roo is always a must. Not to mention their constant goal to keep everything as waste-free as possible, The Farm is one of those festival experiences you never forget.  

Roo takes place June 7-10 in Manchester, TN. You can buy your passes to Bonnaroo here.

1. Firefly Music Festival

(Via GIPHY)

Taking place June 14-17 in Dover, DE, Firefly has possibly the best lineup of the summer. One little rock band sets them apart from Bonnaroo, Boston Calling and yes, even Coachella. Arctic Monkeys have their first scheduled appearance in years at The Woodlands.

Aside from Arctic Monkeys, Firefly also scored The Killers, Kendrick Lamar and Eminem to headline. Other big names include Jimmy Eat World, Foster the People, MGMT and Lil Wayne.

Not only does the festival include a diverse lineup, but the festival is known for being one of the best on the East coast with its Woodlands aesthetic. Filled with good food, good people and an incredible lineup, Firefly is a definite go-to this year.

You can purchase passes here.

Have fun and be safe! Remember to just enjoy the music and good vibes and make some memories!

(Via GIPHY)

Hello! My name is Lindsey Lanham. I go to Old Dominion Univeristy in Norfolk VA, and am currently majoring in journalism with a minor in communication. I am the marketing director for the ODU chapter. I hope to shine light on the local art and artists in Norfolk.