Activities to do Before You Go Home for Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Finals are fast approaching, and as we finish up, we’ll pack our things and head home for the holidays. However, you’ve gotta take a break between all of that studying and have a little fun. Here are some activities you can do before you head home to see your family and friends for the holidays!

Credit: PhotoPin

MacArthur on Ice

Each year, MacArthur Mall opens up an ice skating rink outside. It opened for the season on Nov. 18. It’s $7 to get in, and it’s $7 to rent skates if you don’t already have your own. If you have a military ID, you can save a dollar. There are also student skate nights where you can get $2 off the admission with your student ID. If you can’t get in before you head home for break, it is open until Jan. 15, so you’ll still be able to go after you get back from break! Either way, it can be a fun date night activity or just something to do with your friends to celebrate the end of the semester!

Photo: Norfolk Festevents

Holiday Yule Log Bonfire and Holiday Marketplace

The 4th annual Holiday Yule Log Bonfire and Holiday Marketplace will be held at Town Point Park in downtown Norfolk on Dec. 2 from 12pm-8pm. It’s a free event, and there’s going to be a bonfire, Christmas caroling, and a visit from Santa. Warm drinks will be available for purchase, and proceeds will benefit the Virginia Stage Associates. Vendors will also be set up, so you’ll be able to buy some gifts for your friends and family while you’re there and support craft artists!

Photo: Norfolk Botanical Gardens

Garden of Lights at the Norfolk Botanical Garden

If you’ve got a car, you can head out to the Garden of Lights at the Norfolk Botanical Garden. It’s held from Dec. 1-31 from 5:30pm-10pm every night. You’ll be able to drive your car through a two-mile stretch that brings the four seasons to life with holiday lights. It’s $25 Monday through Thursday, and $30 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Military can save $1 on the admission price.  

These are only three activities that you can take part in before break, but there’s so much more you can do to get into the holiday spirit before you head home for break. There’s plays to see, and you can always drive around neighborhoods to see the displays people have put up. Good luck on finals and happy holidays, Monarchs!

Audra is a senior studying English with a concentration in journalism and double minoring in international studies and communications. In addition to her work with Her Campus, she also writes for ODU's newspaper, the Mace and Crown, and she's a brother of Phi Sigma Pi. When Audra isn't writing for Her Campus or the Mace and Crown, she's playing video games, reading a book or sleeping. Her favorite animal is a cat, and she really enjoys cat videos.