girl and a go vote graphic
girl and a go vote graphic
Design by Kylee Gregg

A Closer Look into the VA Gubernatorial Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Early voting for Virginia’s Gubernatorial election began early this month on the 17 with the actual election taking place on Nov. 2. Due to VA’s unique voting rules, governors are not allowed to run for consecutive terms, so current Governor Ralph Northam is not up for re-election. 

There are two major candidates in the running for the Nov. election, Terry McAuliffe (D) and Glenn Youngkin (R). There will be two other candidates — Princess Blanding (Libertarian) and Paul Davis (Independent, Write-In) — that appear on the ballot this Nov. However, early voting polls show that McAuliffe and Youngkin hold upwards of 90% of votes in Virgina, so that’s where this article will focus. With both major candidates being male, it’s important for voters to understand their viewpoints, especially when it comes to the issue of women’s rights.

Youngkin, the Republican nominee, was previously the CEO of a large Washington D.C. firm called the Carlyle Group, a private equity group that specializes in private equity and credit. Interestingly enough, Younkin spent $5.5 million of his own money on his election campaign. On top of that, he borrowed $12 million in loans from his own bank to support his campaign fundraising.  

Youngkin’s campaign is founded on his goals for cutting the costs of living in VA, “keeping VA safe” by trying to mediate and limit violent crime in the state, reinvigorate job growth, restore excellence in education and “make the government work for you.” 

What you should know in terms of his opinion’s on women’s rights, like abortion, Youngkin has recieved approximately $3,000 in campaign support from the Texas based pro-life organization, Right to Life. Right to Life used this money on “get-out-the-vote phone calls.” Meanwhile, The Family Foundation of VA, a “faith-based” 501 (c)(3) organization, donated $696 on lodging, gift cards, and meals for door-knockers supporting Youngkin. 

Both organizations are adamantly pro-life, but it’s important to note that when pressed on the issue of women’s rights and abortion. Back in July, in an undercover video that later became published, Youngkin addressed the topic of abortion, saying that, “when I’m governor and I have a majority in the House we can start going on offense. But as a campaign topic, sadly, that in fact won’t win my independent votes that I have to get.” 

On the other-side is McAuliffe, the Democratic nominee. He previously held the gubernatorial office for VA from 2014 to 2018. He’s no stranger to the political playing field, as he was chair of the Democratic National Convention (DNC) back in 2000, and has been a long time relationship – both in the personal and professional realm – with the Clintons. The Clintons have played an active role in the fundraising efforts for McAuliffes campaign. Back in Sept., Bill Clinton held a fundraiser in Skaneateles, NY for the Democratic nominee, where tickets for the private event ranged anywhere from $1,000 to $100,000.

McAuliffe has been heavily involved in the campaign finance sphere, which is where he originally grew his roots in politics. Before delving into the political ballgame, McAuliffe worked in the business sector in a handful of different jobs, which may explain his pro-business initiative that has been at the forefront of his campaign.

In both his previous election campaign and his current campaign, McAuliffe stresses his plans to boost economic development and create more secure jobs for Virginians — something that he was successful in doing back in his previous time in office.

One of the lead donors to McAuliffe’s campaign is Democratic Governors Association (DGA) Action, followed by the VA League of Conservation Voters and Common Good VA. It’s important to note that Planned Parenthood Votes also contributed nearly $1.2 million to McAuliffe’s campaign.

Now to break into his stances on women’s rights. In 2017, while in the office, he vetoed a bill that was destined to defund Planned Parenthood in VA. Additionally during this time, McAuliffe worked to create the Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) Work Group, which works to ensure that there are appropriate resources to help victims of sexual assault. 

On the website for his current campaign, he states that, “Terry Will Always Be a Brick-Wall Against Attacks on Reproductive Health,” as he takes a strong stance against the overturning of the 1973 decision of Roe v. Wade. McAuliffe plans to ensure that women in general, and women of color, receive adequate health care coverage including in the realm of prenatal care. 

Additionally, McAuliffe plans on addressing the discrepancies and inequalities faced by women in the workforce. He aims to “fight to support women in the workplace by keeping schools safely open, making child care more affordable,
expanding access to pre-k and investing in before and after school programs so that women can get back to work and continue providing for their families.” For both men and women, McAuliffe aims to raise the minimum wage from $9.50/hour to $15/hour.  

Ultimately, there’s no denying that there is a lack of representation of female leadership in VA politics despite the fact that women make up 50.8% of the Virginian population. However, it’s just as important to vote in smaller-scale, local electoral campaigns if you want to see change at the national level. At the end of the day, local elected officials will be the ones to change your area and hopefully begin a snowball effects that reaches widespread audiences.  For more information about how to register to vote and vote in VA, check out https://www.elections.virginia.gov/index.html.

Hi Everyone! My name is Carly Herbert, I'm the Senior Editor here at HerCampus ODU! I'm originally from Northern VA, but I'm a huge fan of traveling and don't like to stay in one place for too long. I'm majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and a minor in Marketing. A few fun facts about me: an avid coffee drinker, I love the outdoors, and I'm a cat person!