This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always had my head in a book. Coming out of a reading hiatus earlier this year, that innate love of storytelling was reignited for me. The past few months have been full of phenomenal books, ones that I wish I could experience for the first time all over again. On the other hand, there have definitely been a few duds, which can easily lead to a reading slump.

Reading slumps can happen when books simply fail to capture your interest, lessening your motivation to read altogether. Picking up too many of those two-star books or ones that you can’t even finish can leave you longing for something incredible. Luckily, I have just the selection for you, no matter what genre you love!

If you’re looking to add something new and amazing to your bookshelf, look no further. Here are five highly rated books sure to cure your reading slump:

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Historical Fiction

After successes like Daisy Jones and the Six and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo comes T.J.R.’s Malibu Rising. Set in 1983, Malibu Rising follows the Rivas, a group of famous siblings. It’s the end of summer, meaning the highly anticipated end-of-summer party hosted by the eldest sibling, Nina, is quickly approaching. Unfortunately, this year, complications are plenty within the Riva family. Model and surfer Nina is still recovering from the public embarrassment of her husband leaving her. On the other hand, Hud has a secret to confess to his older brother Jay that could potentially drive a wedge between the two. Finally, Kit, the youngest Riva, has invited a guest unbeknownst to her siblings. 

In a dual timeline, we also follow the early lives of the Riva parents, their father being the famous singer Mick Riva, and his wife, June. 

All in all, Malibu Rising took me on an impressive journey of family, hardships and love.

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

Romance

Written by bestselling author Colleen Hoover, It Ends With Us is a poignant romance that explores the intricacies of love and relationships. The night they meet, there’s instant sparks between Lily Bloom and Ryle Kincaid. A small business owner and neurosurgeon, respectively, Lily and Ryle both have busy schedules. Their paths, however, always seem to cross. As the pair’s connection grows in intensity, Ryle’s feelings for Lily soon trump his avoidance of commitment. 

Meanwhile, Lily begins to reminisce on her past relationship with Atlas Corrigan, who was her comfort during tumultuous times. When Atlas reappears, Lily faces consequences she never would have expected. 

It Ends With Us delivered a moving storyline with outstanding character development that stayed with me for days after reading.

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Thriller

If you’re a thriller enthusiast such as myself, Michaelides’ The Silent Patient is a must-have in your book collection. North London painter Alicia Berenson made headlines after shooting her husband Gabriel five times, and never speaking a word since. She was soon transferred to the Grove, a psychiatric unit, where she continued her long streak of silence.

Six years later, criminal psychotherapist Theo Faber has the chance to work with Alicia and he does not hesitate to take it. Determined to uncover the truth of the incident, Theo becomes increasingly involved in Alicia’s life, leading to dramatic outcomes.

Full of twists and shocking discoveries, The Silent Patient truly had me at a loss for words.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

Science Fiction

Sci-fi lover? The Martian writer Andy Weir brings you Project Hail Mary. Scientist Ryland Grace awakes from a long sleep on a spacecraft far from Earth with nothing but a cloudy memory and two dead crewmates. As he slowly regains his memories, Grace realizes he is aboard the Hail Mary, Earth’s last desperate attempt to save humanity from an apocalyptic threat. Being the lone survivor of the lengthy voyage into space, it appears he must now face this challenge on his own. That is until he comes across an unprecedented ally.

Personally, I rarely reach for science fiction, but Project Hail Mary is an all around witty, entertaining read. 

Once There Were Wolves by Charlotte McConaghy

Contemporary Fiction

Charlotte McConaghy illustrates the triumphs and setbacks of environmentalism in Once There Were Wolves. In an effort to rewild the Scottish Highlands, conservationist Inti Flynn and her team of scientists place fourteen gray wolves back into the area. Inti has faith that the wolves will improve the landscape, but the locals are not as optimistic, especially the farmers. In her own home, Inti’s twin sister Aggie is still haunted by the sisters’ past experiences in Alaska. Inti herself struggles as well, but hopes the highlands will heal the two.

Despite local opposition, the wolves appear to show promise as time progresses. However, soon the body of a farmer is found. Inti is sure her wolves are not responsible, and makes a risky decision to protect the animals. That one choice leads to a ripple effect that will be felt throughout the town and its surrounding environment.

Not only is the writing incredibly beautiful and absorbing, Once There Were Wolves is a story that will satisfy both character-driven and plot-driven readers.

Important note: Both It Ends With Us and Once There Were Wolves contain potentially triggering themes and depictions, so be sure to look into those beforehand. 

I’ve read all of these books and gave them each a five-star review, so I hope you enjoy them too! Remember, while reading slumps can be difficult, they don’t last forever. It won’t be long before another story captivates you.

Happy reading!

My name is Stephanie. I’m a third year student at Old Dominion majoring in professional writing. I'm a huge bookworm, so you'll likely always find me with a book on hand. When I'm not reading or writing, I love listening to music, playing video games, and spending time with friends.