A Writing Exercise For Your Weight?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Haven’t kept a journal since the second grade? Trying to lose weight? According to new research there may be a connection between the two.

A recent study published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, shows a positive correlation between women who wrote down their most significant values in a journal and the current status of their weight. Women who wrote about their relationships, music or goals, shed more pounds than those who did not.

Christine Logel of Renison University College at the University of Waterloo, who worked on the study with Geoffrey L. Cohen of Stanford University, explains that when something threatens our self-confidence it will also hinder our stamina when it comes to our weight.

For this study, the researchers followed the weight of 45 female undergraduates for four months. At the end of these four months, the women who often wrote abou their values lost an average 3.41 pounds. Those who did not, gained an average 2.76 pounds.

Researchers say the key to this study was feeling good about yourself. They hope further studies will show how a boost to the self-esteem can ultimately help both men and women lose weight.

Do you keep a journal? What type of positive thoughts do you write down? How do these thoughts help you?

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.