Style

Why You Need A Capsule Wardrobe for Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

So you’ve decided to study abroad, but now you’re wondering how to fit your entire wardrobe for the next 4 months into a couple of suitcases. Enter the capsule wardrobe…

The term, capsule wardrobe, was created in the 1970s by Susan Faux, a London boutique owner. Essentially, it describes a wardrobe made of a few classic pieces that can then be complemented with seasonal pieces throughout the year. The idea of the capsule wardrobe was that by centering your style around timeless pieces, you wouldn’t end up buying a bunch of items that you’d be tired of after only a few wears. That’s enough fashion history for today. Here’s why creating your own capsule wardrobe would be an amazing option for study abroad…

It’ll be easier to get dressed:

Most capsule wardrobes are made of neutral colors like black, white, gray, nude, etc. These colors naturally tend to work well together and are sure to look great when paired with a pop of color from a seasonal piece. Not having to worry about whether or not your pieces compliment each other will make it so much simpler to mix and match #instaworthy outfits for your days abroad.

You’ll have more space in your suitcase:

No one wants to pay extra at the airport because their suitcase exceeds that pesky weight limit. Capsule wardrobes are typically made of anywhere between 30 and 50 pieces. This may sound like a little or a lot to you depending on what your wardrobe looks like now, but you’d be surprised by how many outfits you can make with even ten items. Plus, with the extra space in your suitcase you’ll be able to bring back souvenirs for friends and family.

You can dabble in international looks:

Trying out the trends of your host country can be a fun way to experience their culture. In the same vein of it being less of a hassle to get dressed with a capsule wardrobe, it is also easier to integrate styles from your new environment. It can be a little easier to try out something new when you pair it with familiar basics that you know look great on you.

You’ll have pieces that last beyond your adventures abroad:

Initially it might seem like you’re spending quite a lot of money when you build your capsule wardrobe, but you have to keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Think of your capsule wardrobe as an investment. It may be pricey, but you’re getting quality pieces that will last you long after you head back home – they’re timeless after all.

We hope you’ll consider packing a little lighter for your journey abroad!

Image Credits: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Chelsea is social media inspired senior at NYU majoring in Marketing and minoring in Entertainment Business. In her free time she enjoys saving the environment one thrifting trip at a time, having impromptu photoshoots with friends around the city, and creating content for her blog, Bloomsista.com.
Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.